Unknown Fossil

Mr. E

Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I found the fossil at work today laying in the gravel. I'm not sure if it came in on a dump truck load of gravel or was unearthed 4 years ago during the construction of the impoundment ponds. Regardless it was found in northeastern Oklahoma approximately 45 miles directly south of Tulsa. The only thing I can tell you about it other than what the pictures show is the smell. It had the smell of oil shale after I rinsed the dirt from it.

I tried to meet the requirements for photos but I have no ruler that measures in MM nor do I have a printer to print the printable one mentioned in another post. I did however have a Tritan digital caliper that I took measurements with and a laboratory balance that it was weighed with.

All measurements are taken at the longest, widest and thickest points.

Length:       63.38mm

Width:.        27.74mm

Thickness: 17.52mm

Weight:.      46.3571g

IMG_20211018_161424550~2.jpg

IMG_20211018_161407701~2.jpg

IMG_20211018_161348088~2.jpg

IMG_20211018_161339236~2.jpg

IMG_20211018_161327999~2.jpg

IMG_20211018_161318649~2.jpg

Greetings! 

I could not see very clear bone structure from the photo, and since I could not see the specimen with my own eyes, I could not give an accurate determination. The best I could say is this could be a fragment of a long bone (e.g. femur). 

I am sorry but I don’t see bone structure.  Right now all i am seeing is a flint pebble.  Can you show a close up picture of a eroded or broken area to illustrated bone

12 hours ago, val horn said:

I am sorry but I don’t see bone structure.  Right now all i am seeing is a flint pebble.  Can you show a close up picture of a eroded or broken area to illustrated bone

I hope these help. It's about as good as I can get with my phone. 

IMG_20211019_171510169.jpg

IMG_20211019_171540430.jpg

IMG_20211019_171635567.jpg

IMG_20211019_172819810.jpg

IMG_20211019_172749873.jpg

IMG_20211019_172245897.jpg

I'm used to finding crinoids, horn coral and various shell types around this area so this thing has me stumped.

Edited by Mr. E

i dont think it is bone.  I really dont know what you have found.  the surface texture is interesting--  but i dont know what you have.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

I still lean bone, but I'm far from certain. Feeling a bit out on a limb here. Dugong usually draws a crowd. :)

• I Agree 1

12 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I still lean bone, but I'm far from certain. Feeling a bit out on a limb here. Dugong usually draws a crowd. :)

I'm not sure when or where dugong and their distant relatives first appeared but Oklahoma was covered by a sea from around 500 million years ago up until 80 million years ago. Would dugong fall into that period?

13 minutes ago, Mr. E said:

I'm not sure when or where dugong and their distant relatives first appeared but Oklahoma was covered by a sea from around 500 million years ago up until 80 million years ago. Would dugong fall into that period?

50 mya at the most.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I will submit pictures to the Sam Noble Museum in Oklahoma City later today and see if they can identify it. I will update the forum (if anyone wants to know?) when I get a response.

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

18 hours ago, Mr. E said:

I will submit pictures to the Sam Noble Museum in Oklahoma City later today and see if they can identify it. I will update the forum (if anyone wants to know?) when I get a response.

Welcome to the forum. It is a great place for fossil hunter to share experience.

Normally, members are not shy in identifying a find as fossil or rock. There are few "I think it is a rock"  or "I don't think it is a fossil" which implies it is in a middle state of whether or not.

Curiosity is rampant in humans.  If you find out ,let us know.

• I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"