A "Kem Kem" jaw

FF7_Yuffie

Seller says its Kem Kem. I don't think it is, because it looks like a mosasaur, but I don't think there are any Kem Kem mosasaurs.

I don't think the matrix looks like Ouled Abdoun either. It looks like Goulmima to me, so am I right that it is a Tethysaurus jaw?

Thanks.

received_946569412878113.jpeg

received_405059157735820.jpeg

received_937051900580623.jpeg

received_1787955288259778.jpeg

received_243268671174200.jpeg

received_271051748237319.jpeg

Definitely not Kem Kem nor the Phosphates. The preservation and matrix seems typical Akrabou Formation material from Goulmima and is likely Tethysaurus. So unless there is a similar formation with similar preservation and fauna, it should be a safe ID.

Kind of weird it was mistaken for Kem Kem though. It possibly went through many hands and information was lost or there was bad communication somewhere.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Definitely a Tethysaurus nopscai rostrum. The teeth don't have the best preservation, but the three-dimensional nature of the piece makes this a nice specimen all the same. Also, unless found in soft matrix, most Tethysaurus-specimens suffer from much the same afflictions, as the nodules in which they are found are very hard and should actually be acid-prepared. I'm not aware of any other locality where Tethysaurus is found than at the Akrabou Formation of Goulmima, so I fully agree with what @Kikokuryu said...

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett