Pete Williams

Hello guys, wonding if you can help me identify this tooth fossil, please?

It's been in the family for 70 years or so as it was given to my late father during his time spent in the Navy whilst in the Mediteranean. So we are not sure if it came from either the Eastern side or Western side.

Your help will be very much appreciated

From the jaw-line to the tip = 10cm

Width of tooth at base = 11cm

Thickness of tooth at mid-height = 3cm

Weight = 870 gms

20210918_123215.jpg

20210918_123248.jpg

20210918_123304.jpg

20210918_123417.jpg

Edited by Pete Williams
more accurate title

• Pete Williams changed the title to Help needed: Tooth ID, please

Welcome to the Forum.  :)

Unfortunately, this is not a tooth.   :(

There is no enamel present, ruling out a tooth. There is no bone texture or root texture visible either.

This looks to be a suggestively shaped rock. There is a different type of mineral composition to the base of the rock.

It is not unusual to see two different types of rock conjoined in this manner. Differential weathering has eroded the top part, while the bottom is comprised of more erosion resistant minerals.

• I Agree 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Greetings! 

I would say this is a beautiful rock which could be a nice decoration in the house! It's not a fossil, but I still like it! 

Edited by Agent_Zigzag
  • Thank You 1

I really appreciate your help guys. Naturally disappointed that I didn't have something wonderful but fully understand your comments and reasoning

a chert nodule with some of the encasing limestone still attached. I think I see fossil impressions in the limestone (lighter) part. It's too interesting to break for a look inside but I'd definitely look with a magnifier.

I agree with most comments above.  It is possible the darker material is calcite.  It appears partially translucent.  A few drops of vinegar, just on the dark material, will bubble if it is calcite.  

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ