Carboniferous / Pennsylvanian Seed / Spore Pod?

cngodles

I'm getting better with plants, but I haven't really found anything that says seed or spore pod to me. This one finally does. It's a small depression with texture. I wish I had the other side, but I didn't see it. This was from a layer with many ferns, Calamites, and Cordaites. Concretions are about non-existent here. In fact, there may be none at all. It's the texture in the depression that has me thinking seed pod mold.

CG-0259-Seed-pod-001.jpg

Edited by cngodles
proper name formatting

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos

For comparison, here is my specimen of Holcospermum sp. from the Pennsylvanian near Lequire, OK. I was fortunate that the seed and its matrix separated nicely. The light blue grid is one inch.

10637_2.jpg

Edited by Caverat
Mis-spelling and scale noted.
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Any suggestions on a genus @paleoflor @paleoflor ? Holcospermum was suggested by @Caverat and was also seen in my copy of Plant Fossils of West Virginia, but I don't have the defined ridges. Perhaps just indeterminate? I may just label it as "seed pod?".

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos

2 hours ago, cngodles said:

Any suggestions on a genus @paleoflor @paleoflor ? Holcospermum was suggested by @Caverat and was also seen in my copy of Plant Fossils of West Virginia, but I don't have the defined ridges. Perhaps just indeterminate? I may just label it as "seed pod?".

I may have a case of pareidolia when looking at your specimen, but I "think" I see some evidence of shallow ridges.... Perhaps oblique lighting to emphasize the contrast?

Difficult to say, especially from photograph. Alternatives like Trigonocarpus can also have ridges, albeit fewer in number. If the specimen is crushed, this could also produce 'ridges' due to longitudinal splitting. Personally, I would stick with "unidentified seed", unless the characteristics are more clear in person than on the photograph.

Searching for green in the dark grey.