Big Cow, Bison, Dino Femur?

Infidel

Found this on the creek today, only about 3-4 inches exposed, dug it the rest of the way out of the bank. It was buried pretty deep in the bank and was halfway between the top of ground and creek bed, around 15' below ground surface. It measures around 18" long. I've been looking online at bovine humerus and femurs and it doesn't quite match up, nor with bison. Have I found something interesting? It is definitely bone and not mineralized, it is a bit soft/porous.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

post-2385-12674011374545_thumb.jpg

post-2385-12674011544651_thumb.jpg

Take it easy, but take it

Found this on the creek today, only about 3-4 inches exposed, dug it the rest of the way out of the bank. It was buried pretty deep in the bank and was halfway between the top of ground and creek bed, around 15' below ground surface. It measures around 18" long. I've been looking online at bovine humerus and femurs and it doesn't quite match up, nor with bison. Have I found something interesting? It is definitely bone and not mineralized, it is a bit soft/porous.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

more pics

post-2385-12674012098388_thumb.jpg

post-2385-12674012416543_thumb.jpg

Probably a horse femur.

Bingo, according to that illustration, it is a horse femur. No idea how it would get buried so deep in a creek bank though, had to have been within the last 300 years correct? Since it is bone and in reasonably good condition, safe to assume a modern horse?

Guess I'll toss it out back, at least it was exciting for a little while. :wacko:

No idea how it would get buried so deep in a creek bank though

That creek bed has been crawling back-and-forth, burying and unburying stuff for a long time.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

When I was a kid(in the 60's) we were on a family vacation to Alberta. Stopping at the badlands near Drumheller I found what was surely a dinosaur tooth.Pestering my parents we stopped at the local museum.I ran in placed it on the desk and to my horror before I had a chance to ask the lady looked over her glasses and said dryly "Horse" Deflated I returned to the car but have been looking for fossils ever since!

Cephalopods rule!!