Unknown triassic spine/bone

Mcmaker

Hi! I've recently acquired unidentified fossil. It's from triassic location in Silesia, Poland. Can you give me some ideas on ID? ;)

IMG_20211021_211429.jpg

IMG_20211021_211357.jpg

IMG_20211021_211507.jpg

Greetings!

The resolution of the picture is not that satisifying......Based on what I can see, my best hypothesis would be this is a nice tarsal of a reptile, and since it's from Silesia, maybe it is one of the specimens could conclude to the new celophysoids (not named) found in the area. 

First, thanks for replies! I will update later the thread with more specific and detailed photos of this specimen :)

Edited by Mcmaker

May be one of our forum members with experience with material from the European Triassic would have something to say about this... I'll tag @Pemphix and @sander...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

:zzzzscratchchin: Can't hold it any longer.:)

Am I the only one who is questioning if this is actually bone ? The texture isn't talking to me.

I would call it . . . well not bone. 

@Rockwood It's definitely a bone, i've got a sauropterygian vertebra from that location and it appearance, color and texture looks exactly the same as in this case :)

Thanks for your shot, @sander i'm already in touch with the vertabrate paleontologist Dawid Surmik from the page you linked above ;)

Edited by Mcmaker

Nice one, @sander! As I didn't really recognize the name of the site, I didn't quite realise this was a marine context. But I'd say your suggestion sounds pretty good, and I can totally see this being a partial sauropterygian gastralium. I actually have one from an Arnarosaurus from Rüdersdorf in Germany that I've included for comparison (though I don't have the actual specimen here with me right now).

1291440820_Rdersdorfsauropterygiangrastraliaandskullfragment.jpg.7dfeaab848df4f42e25733d83aa8cea0.jpg

I also extracted the photograph of the particular specimen referred to above from figure 2 of Surmik, Skreczko and Wolny (2014) for more easy and permanent reference in the future.

357193073_nothosaurgastraliaSadowaGraquarryPoland.jpg.ebd96a4836197e32ed41b625b9845af9.jpg

6 hours ago, Rockwood said:

So is this the actual bone or a natural cast/replacement/partial replacement ?

And, yes, this is actual bone. These early sauropterygians have extremely pachyosteosclerotic bones that are so dense that you wouldn't be able to recognize any of the traditional give-aways of it being bone. Kind of like with dugong-bones from Florida...

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
  • I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Sorry for not answering earlier, but i had a lot of job to do.

To make it short: yes it is bone and i agree with sander that it might be a part of a -worn- sauropterygian gastralium.

• Thank You 1