Mrwelter

Greetings! 

In some angles of this piece of specimen, it looks like a large Stringocephalus, but I believe it is a beautiful rock that could be a nice decoration in the backyard, especially if you want to build a small fontain :) 

14 minutes ago, RJB said:

Weirdly shaped concretion?

RB

If the background weren't a river I would be more inclined to agree.

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

If the background weren't a river I would be more inclined to agree.

The rivers I paddle expose unusual concretions all the time.  Based on the OP's photos, I suspect other concretions are found in the vicinity.

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Please add more photos  included the underside and close up of any broken edges that might shoe trabecular bone. I  am still undecided…

I think, it might be a strange septarian nodule.

8E4E0603-47E1-4461-A9A6-2F4A6A7EE0E5.jpeg.06c757fcbcba9f7d928306b5c4ab766c.jpeg.7b7558786daf37bf2c132379dc8c1547.jpeg8458531.jpg.a4a52e5b645e9235a1b7bda6ea8ef721.jpg.c5bb75cab8b136b6e33593184f82b850.jpg

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I suspect other concretions are found in the vicinity.

But when it's all concretion doesn't it sort of become just rock ? I'm no so sure there is always a clear distinction.

12 hours ago, Rockwood said:

But when it's all concretion doesn't it sort of become just rock ? I'm no so sure there is always a clear distinction.

Ive been finding and prepping concretions for 30 years now.  Found many in creeks and rivers.  A concretion is the very same dirt/matrix  as everything around it except that it has gone through the concretion making process.  The distinction between rock and concretion becomes very distint.  If ive read your moment correctly that is.

RB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Ive been finding and prepping concretions for 30 years now.  Found many in creeks and rivers.  A concretion is the very same dirt/matrix  as everything around it except that it has gone through the concretion making process.  The distinction between rock and concretion becomes very distint.  If ive read your moment correctly that is.

RB

I guess perhaps very is the term I will always have trouble with. I have always had trouble with black and white distinctions. I see them as artificial constructions that are only useful in human communication and do not even actually exist in the real world.