Pennsylvanian zipper fossil from Texas

BobWill

This photo was sent from a person who knows nothing about fossils or geology so the questions far outnumber any answers. We hope to see it in person in 2 weeks or so and will then determine the location, confirm the formation, and provide the size.

The area around Jacksboro Texas, the only information we have now, is mostly the Graham formation, so that makes it marine deposits in the Cisco group, Late Pennsylvanian. I have tried to imagine it could be a bryozoan or some kind of plant but nothing I know of is a good fit. I thought maybe someone here might recognize it.

IMG_5116.thumb.jpg.64b710800edaa035d7db3a85c1c333a1.jpg

Slight resemblance to Clathrocrinus crinoid arms, a Pennsylvanian genus.

2C0C5F0D-1E4A-47F3-A9CD-5A2DC990EDCE.jpeg

1128F3DF-0B9D-45B4-A707-5872F9F1450A.jpeg

3750456F-EAC6-43D1-8E1B-11C6808ECE2D.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

My first impression was an Archimedes (I guess it would be several) but I realize that doesn’t totally fit with what you think you know about it. It is a bit if a mystery, just want to expose more of it!!

15 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Slight resemblance to Clathrocrinus crinoid arms, a Pennsylvanian genus.

That looks very close. I'm surprised Peter Holterhoff didn't suggest that but he may have had a reason to rule it out. I also asked Mark McKinzie. That thing looks more like a zipper than mine!

I suppose it is more of a zig-zag while mine has sort of alternating nodes breaking off the sides. The thing on the right is similar to the zipper strings but looks a little like a dermal denticle.

Also similar to an external mold of crinoid arms especially one at upper right.

722D36F1-0CE4-46A9-9E5B-AF3C63E5C341.jpeg

Even better a Delocrinus.

6DB19DF9-997C-470D-99EE-E01A2DEE467F.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I Agree 1

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Here is a Deltocrinus from Jacksboro: smoking gun? An exterior mold of these arms?

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/113841-texas-pennsylvanian-weekend-trilo-crinoids-goniatites-and-more/

95665DD3-A463-4AF0-AEF6-E50F948DCF7D.jpeg

24B233A7-33C7-45BF-B7B6-1BAE8CAD69BC.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I think these are parallel bryozoan pinnules; branches of a the genus Penniretepora would appear most likely, but maybe Pinnatopora or Acanthocladia. 

A close up of the branches and zooecia would be necessary for someone to tell which.  

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Possibly a trace fossil of some sort?

The leaves and twigs in the lower left corner indicate that they could be quite large.

Context is critical.

20 minutes ago, Missourian said:

Possibly a trace fossil of some sort?

The leaves and twigs in the lower left corner indicate that they could be quite large.

The leaves and twigs are modern. The Jacksboro area has mostly Pennsylvanian fossils.

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The leaves and twigs are modern. The Jacksboro area has mostly Pennsylvanian fossils.

I was referring to scale.

Context is critical.

1 hour ago, Missourian said:

I was referring to scale.

Of course, I misread your reply.

I don't think trace fossil is likely, as there are at least three of these "lines" next to each other and a fourth partial one.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)