Tooth from Carniol France - Gargasian

R0b

This tooth was a surface find from Carniol. It was found by my partner and she just put it in her box without telling me recognising for what it was. Nice surprise when sorting / cleaning. On another forum a similar tooth from the same location was identified as Protosphyraena. Cretaseous, Aptian, Gargasian.

There are no serrations visible under 10x magnification. At the base the toot is about 5.8mm wide and 4.1mm thick.

19BDED1E-805E-4AEA-BD55-22FC97BEC6D4.jpeg

68479BAD-B3E4-4630-8A42-369AF22C8D43.jpeg

D532CE38-6460-4B7F-BC42-49CC1780BC46.jpeg

1854358A-3139-4795-A813-367E1DC90C75.jpeg

79DE61A9-E6C1-4648-BF4B-B7C6CC789786.jpeg

466DC78C-55F2-485B-8B20-F3894CFAC4DB.jpeg

Edited by R0b
Adding information measurement

@Troodon measured at the base it is about 5.8mm wide and 4.1 mm thick.

Indeed the examples I could find for Protosphyraena are closer to a 2:1 ratio.

Edited by R0b
Spelling

I'm no good with fish, but may be @Anomotodon will be able to help you further. I believe he has some experience with Early Cretaceous fish teeth...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I agree, it does seem like Protosphyraena or a related Pachycormid with similar teeth - there were other species in Early Cretaceous that are less well-known. Pachycormid teeth are usually more flattened, but many, like Protosphyraena were mildly heterodontous - see skull below - so more anterior teeth could be more rounded. There were also large Ichthyodectids at that time (like Xiphactinus) with similar teeth, so that is also a possibility.

Anthony Maltese - Pro Vax Anti Xiphactinus on Twitter: "For #teleostTuesday  we are building the prototype Protosphyraena reconstruction… "

• I found this Informative 1

The Tooth Fairy

@Anomotodon Thanks, 

I came across Xiphactinus but I read these were more late Cretaceous. But looking at your post a precise identification will be difficult. How would you label it?

9 hours ago, R0b said:

@Anomotodon Thanks, 

I came across Xiphactinus but I read these were more late Cretaceous. But looking at your post a precise identification will be difficult. How would you label it?

I would carefully say ?Pachycormidae indet. I noticed that on some Ichthyodectids carinae (cutting edges) are usually less pronounced and don't always reach the base, unlike your tooth and Protosphyraena/Australopachycormus, but I am unaware of any literature to back up this claim hence the question mark.

• Thank You 1

The Tooth Fairy

1 hour ago, Anomotodon said:

I would carefully say ?Pachycormidae indet. I noticed that on some Ichthyodectids carinae (cutting edges) are usually less pronounced and don't always reach the base, unlike your tooth and Protosphyraena/Australopachycormus, but I am unaware of any literature to back up this claim hence the question mark.

Thanks again, I will follow your suggestion remembering this discussion.