notsure

Northern Colorado Front Range Fossils.

notsure

Does anyone know of any spots around the front range where fossils or other rocks can be found?

I'm curious about Fossil Creek in Fort Collins, has anyone been there or heard about it?

Any information or participation will be appreciated.

post-2527-12675149755002_thumb.jpg

32fordboy

What kinds of fossils do you want to find?

http://donaldkenney.110mb.com/STATES/CO.HTM

Nick

EDIT: Keep in mind, some of the sites in the link may not be there anymore, or they might be on private property.

Edited by 32fordboy

notsure

AWESOME, THANKS!

I'M NOT PICKY, I WANT TO FIND ANY AND ALL FOSSILS. THE CLOSER THE BETTER THOUGH.

Berthoud Boulder CO W in fold within first hogback in sandy shales Cretaceous Avicula,Inoceramus,Ostrea CO0008 40.3083,-105.0806,,MCU | ,

I'M INTERESTED ABOUT THIS SPOT. I'M NOT SO SURE HOW TO FIND IT THOUGH.

IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR THE FORT COLLINS, GREELEY, LONGMONT AREA I'D REALLY APPRECIATE IT. I WOULDN'T MIND TAGGING ALONG IF YOUR EVER ON A LOCAL FIELD TRIP :)

THANKS AGAIN,

WILL

Mr. Edonihce

AWESOME, THANKS!

I'M NOT PICKY, I WANT TO FIND ANY AND ALL FOSSILS. THE CLOSER THE BETTER THOUGH.

Berthoud Boulder CO W in fold within first hogback in sandy shales Cretaceous Avicula,Inoceramus,Ostrea CO0008 40.3083,-105.0806,,MCU | ,

I'M INTERESTED ABOUT THIS SPOT. I'M NOT SO SURE HOW TO FIND IT THOUGH.

IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR THE FORT COLLINS, GREELEY, LONGMONT AREA I'D REALLY APPRECIATE IT. I WOULDN'T MIND TAGGING ALONG IF YOUR EVER ON A LOCAL FIELD TRIP :)

THANKS AGAIN,

WILL

Hi, Will.

Sorry....I haven't been here for a while. I wish I had noticed thread this before.

So.....Did you notice the GPS coordinates (40.3083 and -105.0806) in that line of text that you posted?

If you have a GPS receiver, you can use those coordinates to get you right to where they're talking about (that is, assuming the coordinates are correct).

There are lots of places along the Front Range with fossils. Unfortunately, most of them are either private property or state or county or city land (none of which we are allowed to collect on without specific, written permission for private and special permits for public).

I suggest getting involved with the Western Interior Paleontological Society (WIPS for short).

Our web site address is www.westernpaleo.org

We have lots of field trips every year. Many of them are already filling up by this time, but you can go in there and see what's left available.

Also, I'm considering putting together a weekend paleo trip sometime this summer. It would be hunting/collecting Paleocene plants somewhere West of RMNP.

If it comes together (still probably weeks away from deciding for sure), we would camp in an as-yet undisclosed location (given only to confirmed participants when the time comes) and would have to hike on foot for an hour or two in order to get to the site.

The rock is hard, and heavy. So, collecting would be at the discretion of the one carrying the material back to camp.

If this happens, it would probably be published as an official WIPS field trip....we'll see though.

I'm also thinking of putting together an offroading / paleo trip with some of my FJ Cruiser offroading buddies. This would not be an official WIPS field trip.

It would include both offroading and fossil hunting somewhere in Colorado. We may go with a location which we must offroad to get to, or perhaps just an easy car-drive-up location.....no idea if it will even pan out yet....just in the considering stages.

Back to your original thoughts...

I also am interested in checking out potential paleo spots in the area. So, even if it's a place where collecting is not allowed, if you have a specific place in mind and want to go check it out for the sake of learning about what's there, etc, let me know and I'll consider meeting up with you out there some time.

DDD

Ooh - count me in for the Paleocene plants trip if you do it!

Dan

Mr. Edonihce

Ooh - count me in for the Paleocene plants trip if you do it!

Dan

OK, cool.

I will definitely keep this thread updated when/if it becomes solid.

Might see you at the meeting on Monday night too?

DDD

OK, cool.

I will definitely keep this thread updated when/if it becomes solid.

Might see you at the meeting on Monday night too?

Yes, I plan to be there - see you there!

Dan

Mr. Edonihce

Yes, I plan to be there - see you there!

Dan

Good to see you the other night, Dan.

Hopefully we can make something work out this summer.

I'll keep you posted.

Rover

It's been a minute since I've been in Colorado, and I never was clear on the geographical regions of the state, but I know from experience there's one very good spot out in the desert somewhere in the area of Grand Junction, Delta, and Montrose where you can find a great variety of shells. You should be able to find good fossils by driving out far enough and pulling off of the road near any cliffs.