Mystery Crinoid

LanceH

Here's another little crinoid I'm having trouble finding an ID for.

post-11-12675446359632_thumb.jpg

Also is it even possible to get a name for any of these crinoid columnals?

post-11-12675447182099_thumb.jpg

Lance,

With regard to identifing Crinoids from columnal pieces it is possible to identify the Crinoid. I refer you to The University of Kansas Paleontological Contributions- Echinodermata, Article 8,9,10, 1968. Specifically, "Classification and Nomenclature of Fossil Crinoids Based on Studies of Dissociated Parts of Their Columns", by Raymond C. Moore and Russell M. Jeffords, Article 9, Serial No. 46, The University of Kansas Paleontological Institute, January 26, 1968. Lance, if you can't get access to a copy of this article PM me and I'll send you my copy if you promise to return it when you are done with it.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Edit: Mike beat me to it! LOL

Sometimes the battle is just finding out what's already been written. This should be an important addition to my library.

Thanks James!

Edited by LanceHall

Lance, Crinoid cup appears to be either a Phacelocrinus or an Aphelecrinus (leaning towards Aphelecrinus).

What formation were these found in? That would help with species name.

Crinoid1

I like crinoids......

Lance, Crinoid cup appears to be either a Phacelocrinus or an Aphelecrinus (leaning towards Aphelecrinus).

What formation were these found in? That would help with species name.

Crinoid1

The crinoid is from the Mineral Wells formation in north Texas. The age is upper Pennsylvanian. Someone pretty knowledgable has given me the name "Apographiocrinus" also.

Here's a picture that shows both sides. The crinoid is flattened and the anal plate is broken.

post-11-12678863736424_thumb.jpg

Here's another also ID'd as "Apographiocrinus".

post-11-12678864422887_thumb.jpg

Edited by LanceHall

The crinoid is from the Mineral Wells formation in north Texas. The age is upper Pennsylvanian. Someone pretty knowledgable has given me the name "Apographiocrinus" also.

They do look similar, but I could'nt tell for sure from both of the pics. The primibrach was my clue, and in the Apographiocrinus, I dont see a clear one, although it might as well could be. The upper pennsylvanian is a little out of my range hahaha. I will poste a pic of one of my upper mississippian Apheles and you can see for yourself.

Crinoid1

I like crinoids......