Hell Creek Microsite Tooth

FossilsandScience

Hey everyone,

Got the chance to explore the Hell Creek this summer and I've got a few questions on what I've found. The first is this tooth. I found it at a microsite in the Hell Creek Formation of Montana. It's about 1/2 inch long. I tried getting some up close shots of it, but if y'all need any better photos, just let me know. Thanks for you help in advance!

_MG_8425.jpg

_MG_8426.jpg

_MG_8427.jpg

_MG_8428.jpg

Edited by FossilsandScience

Can you provide me a serration density count midline 3 mm wide on the distal edge.  Im seeing no serrations on mesial carina.  Looking to see if its Richardoestesia.  Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Can you provide me a serration density count midline 3 mm wide on the distal edge.  Im seeing no serrations on mesial carina.  Looking to see if its Richardoestesia.  Thanks.

Yes - it has a serration count of about 25 /3mm on the distal edge and I don't see any serrations on the mesial edge, it seems like they were worn off.

Thanks, wow very dense. 

I'm inclined to call this

"cf Richardoestesia gilmorei".  I say that because it has minute denticles, the most dense of any theropod in the HC/Lance Fm.  The serrations can also be limited to the distal edge.  These teeth can have some curvature and are quite varied in shape and size.  The profile of yours might be a premaxillary or anterior tooth.  Nice tooth.

• I found this Informative 1