What bone is this? Northern Iceland 2021

KonradArnar

Hi! I found this bone on a remote, virgin beach in northern Iceland just the other day.

I’m completely green when it gets to those topics and have thus no idea what it can have come from.  

Possibly a piece of a large fish or seal vertebra? Any ideas? Can anybody help me identify the bone? :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You may wish to apply the burn test to see if it is fossil or modern. By applying a flame to a small portion of it, if collagen is present (indicated by an unpleasant smell reminiscent of burnt hair), then it is likely modern and not a fossil. 

Iceland is a lovely country of extremes, but not very well known for fossils apart from the occasional Pleistocene deposits. I am confident someone with a lot more osteo-knowledge will see this and be able to pinpoint which mammal it might have belonged to. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thank you @Kane, I will try it! I have been researching and came to a conclusion that it might be a piece of a vertebrae of a minke whale. Or some sort of whale anyway. We'll see if anyone with good knowledge about fish will notice my post! :)

@Boesse may be able to help.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

2 hours ago, KonradArnar said:

might be a piece of a vertebrae of a minke whale. Or some sort of whale anyway. We'll see if anyone with good knowledge about fish will notice my

FYI If it is a whale bone then you will want a mammal person, not a fish person.  Sorry I can not help with this one other than it does look modern to me.