"Turritella Agate" - chertified fossiliferous lacustrine limestone in the Eocene of Wyoming, USA.

nala

Is it a "Turritella Agate" - chertified fossiliferous lacustrine limestone in the Eocene of Wyoming, USA.or a sample from Brazil or Madagascar?

IMG_9469.JPG

IMG_9537.JPG

IMG_9539.JPG

IMG_9540.JPG

I recently found a cretaceous plate almost just like this one in Central Texas, with turritella and bivalves apparent throughout...

Can't tell you much about yours, though...

Thanks facehugger,cretaceous of Texas also! i think it's probably from a usual site for these,,but Madagascar and Brazil polished most of the time(it's more spectacular)but i prefer the natural aspect

This looks exactly like Turritella Agate from southern Wyoming in many ways, but I am unfamiliar with the other sites mentioned, so without knowing how to compare Wyoming Turritella, I will simply say.... yes, this looks like Wyoming Turritella.   

• I found this Informative 1

• 7 months later...
On 10/29/2021 at 1:40 PM, nala said:

Is it a "Turritella Agate" - chertified fossiliferous lacustrine limestone in the Eocene of Wyoming, USA.or a sample from Brazil or Madagascar?

Looks like a Turritella Death Plate!

It's not agate unless it has mineralized into that.

You would have to test for that still, is it translucent? If not, its not agate.

Whats the Mohs hardness? Many of these things can be narrowed down based on hardness alone. It would need to be a 7 on the Mohs scale to be an agate. 

On 10/29/2021 at 5:57 PM, jpc said:

yes, this looks like Wyoming Turritella

I spent a few hours collecting some Wyoming  turritella a few years ago. Your sample looks IDENTICAL to what I saw in the field.

Mike

• I found this Informative 1