Cretaceous Burmite Dipteran stuck in amber just after Eclosion

Biotalker

This dipteran became stuck in amber approximately 100mya just after eclosing (coming out from its pupal case as a new adult). The shape of the wing indicates it was in the process of unfurling and therefore never took flight.

Burmite fly eclosed (2).jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

That's awesome, glad you can recognize the significance of it! Are there any remnants of the pupal case as well? 

On 11/5/2021 at 1:18 PM, Crusty_Crab said:

That's awesome, glad you can recognize the significance of it! Are there any remnants of the pupal case as well? 

Good question. Possibly. Here is what could be the remains of a pupal case. There isn't much with which to identify it.

Epupal case maybe 2 (2).jpg

Epupal case close up (2).jpg

On this piece of burmite, there is a second dipteran fly, a big eyed one, also stuck in post eclosion wing expansion, right next to the fly in the first panel of this post. It is in much better shape but is behind a layer of thin crud. Here are the best pics I could muster- I may try to shave off the crud layer to get a better view. To the right is the white abdomen of the first fly. The second fly's anterior is to the bottom left and posterior diagonally to the upper right. The close up is an attempt to visualize the wing through the crud. 

Esecond fly eclose (2).jpg

Esecond fly ecl wing close up (2).jpg