Wanted a bit of help on this one.  I am in the market for a dragonfly fossil from Solnhofen Germany.  I have found this one but not sure it is real.  Any help would be great.  They list it as a "tarsophlebia eximia"

Thanks!

df1.JPG

The only thing that seems real are the dendrites.
It looks like the drawing of a child who paints very well ...

this photo will be worth comparing.

800px-Tarsophlebia_eximia_Upper_Jurassic

df1.JPG

Edited by Paleorunner
  • I found this Informative 3

3 hours ago, R0b said:

show that it is either fake or a new species.

You already made my day!!

:heartylaugh::default_rofl:

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1

7 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

You already made my day!!

:heartylaugh::default_rofl:

Franz Bernhard

aaaiinnss !! I think there is some error in the translations, I don't read the same in ROb's answer:headscratch:

There's no question that this is a recognized species, but the photo of it looks very suspicious, especially since you can't enlarge it to view the details.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Dragonflies do only have very short antennae, the wing shape is wrong for a Tarsophlebia, the spot on the wings is made up, the abdomen with the cercus is too long, the legs look unnatural and their position is wrong.  This looks like it is a complete fake (and the artist probably has little idea about the anatomy of a dragonfly).

df1.JPG.f9ac2bc7c9357c6082ba05330e3bfd32.jpg.d3c463ddcc02114710e741faf7af181a.jpg

591710056_TarsophlebiaeximiaRekonstr.thumb.JPG.012519d6d7197b7d5e8653b583774dde.JPG

Line drawing of Tarsophlebia eximia

Link to Solnhofen-Fossilienatlas.de: Tarsophlebia eximia HAGEN, 1862 - Die Fossilien von Solnhofen (solnhofen-fossilienatlas.de)

Edited by oilshale
  • I found this Informative 4

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

There are a currently a number of fakes out there being sold. Some better than others.

il_1140xN.2097736335_6m80.jpg  il_1140xN.2050140550_2jmo.jpg

m_60612ddd67bd9138e748454b.jpg fake dragonfly.jpg

Member Biotalker recently showed us how they are now printing fossils onto stone.

It pays to do your research and I would avoid any fossils that look not quite right.

Ask for high resolution images, and pass on it if they refuse.

• I found this Informative 4
  • Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

There are a currently a number of fakes out there being sold.

Would be quite nice pieces of art with all these dendrites around it if sold as such. But unfortunately...:shakehead:

3 hours ago, Paleorunner said:

I think there is some error in the translations, I don't read the same in ROb's answer

Doesn´t matter. I did understand it in a very humouros way, but I don´t know if any humor was indendet. But some members here already know my weird sense of  humor.

Franz Bernhard

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

28 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Doesn´t matter. I did understand it in a very humouros way, but I don´t know if any humor was indendet. But some members here already know my weird sense of  humor.

Franz Bernhard

I thought it was funny as well... But translating does cause some problems. :P

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

There's no question that this is a recognized species, but the photo of it looks very suspicious, especially since you can't enlarge it to view the details.

Yes the species is valid but OP’s example is not that species as it doesn’t match all the other real examples of this species.

4 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Would be quite nice pieces of art with all these dendrites around it if sold as such. But unfortunately...:shakehead:

Franz Bernhard

Humor was definitely intended