Ezio Bonsignore

... a Barasaurus besairei, from the Triassic of Madagascar.

Which if true wouild be an interesting specimen. Any chance of it being real?

bas1.jpg

bas2.jpg

bas3.jpg

bas 3.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

This looks completely painted and carved to me. I would stay very far away.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

counterfeit so badly that it looks like the impression of a soft tissue animal, rather than a vertebrate. :BigSmile: ( It is my humble opinion ). :cool07:

Almost looks like they messed up an actual fossil to create that "thing". To the left of the head blob & left "forelimb".  Can't really expand the pic enough to get a clear view, but it almost looks like vegetation of some sort. But if not, the rock itself would look decent with the paint removed.  :D

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

2 hours ago, Ezio Bonsignore said:

Barasaurus besairei

Would the general anatomy fit?

52 minutes ago, daves64 said:

it almost looks like vegetation of some sort.

I thought the same. Is Barasaurus besairei usually associated with this other fossil?

Strange thing! Not everything seems to be painted over. Why have they cut off some limb parts? Could it be, that they started with something real? I find the somewhat conglomeratic matrix also noteworthy.

Franz Bernhard

Hundreds of these so called Barasaurus besairei concretions were imported into China.  A closer look will show that they are all artwork.  Look at these!

IMG_1869.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1866.JPG

IMG_1865.JPG

IMG_1864.JPG

IMG_1863.JPG

IMG_1862.JPG

IMG_1861.JPG

• I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Hundreds of these so called Barasaurus besairei concretions were imported into China.  A closer look will show that they are all artwork.  Look at these!

Oooooookkkkkk.... :DOH:

But:

- Why were they imported into China?

- Do they start from nothing with the painting? Or is something there to start with? Especially the distorted and partly disarticulated specimens make me wonder.

Franz Bernhard

The last pic looks like someone got happy with a rubber stamp. :heartylaugh:

• Enjoyed 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

On 11/2/2021 at 1:33 PM, FranzBernhard said:

Oooooookkkkkk.... :DOH:

But:

- Why were they imported into China?

- Do they start from nothing with the painting? Or is something there to start with? Especially the distorted and partly disarticulated specimens make me wonder.

Franz Bernhard

Large quantities of many fossils such as ammonites, dinosaur bones, and fish (concretion) are imported from Madagascar into China.  Mostly polished rather than raw materials as it's illegal to import raw fossils, they are sold as decorations or small household stuffs like ash trays.  For the fish, I would say they are mostly genuine.   But for this reptile, they might be partially real fossils but I would say they are largely painting.  I didn't buy any to have closer examination so I could not tell for sure. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

I've seen first hand in Madagascar some speciments excavated by local people. All of those fossils posted here are real BUT the chinese ones have been painted over with black paint. About the first speciment posted it is real, but the cavities left by the disintegrated fossil bones have been filled with a mixture of coal, coffee and glue. This is often done by local fossil hunter to sell better most of those nodules that otherwise would be less attractive. Barasaurus are really really common, but often in a bad quality preservation

• I found this Informative 5

7 hours ago, glu said:

About the first speciment posted it is real, but the cavities left by the disintegrated fossil bones have been filled with a mixture of coal, coffee and glue. This is often done by local fossil hunter to sell better most of those nodules that otherwise would be less attractive. Barasaurus are really really common, but often in a bad quality preservation

Thanks for that great info! Good to know that there is something

Are these in some way related to the Chinese Keichosaurus (besides their commones)? Do you have a pic of an "unenhanced" Barasaurus handy? Many thanks!

Franz Bernhard

"a mixture of coal, coffee and glue."

Many thanks for the very informative comment. Now for a general question to the knowledgeables: is such a practice to be regarded as 1) fakery, 2) commercial fraud, 3) excessive preparation, 4) ?. In other terms, would you consider this item as worth having?

17 hours ago, Ezio Bonsignore said:

would you consider this item as worth having?

If I get one for free and nothing, yes!!*

I would like to know what´s behind all that coal, coffee and glue.

*I only self collect, but this would be a study object.

17 hours ago, Ezio Bonsignore said:

1) fakery, 2) commercial fraud, 3) excessive preparation,

We would really have to know whats there at the beginning (at the moment of splitting these concretions).

At the moment, I am tending towards commercial fraud combined with lots of fakery.

Franz Bernhard

What these painted fossils need is a bright red chop mark (Chinese signature) signifying the artist that created these. Then everyone would know what it is, a piece of art.

• Enjoyed 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I think its clear: stay away.

Only buy these once you really know what your doing, allot of them are fakes, or very bad prepped