Tyrannosaurus rex name vs. other dinosaurs

Nanotyrannus35

:trex:Why is Tyrannosaurus the only dinosaur that is mainly referred to by the genus name and the species name? I mean, nobody talks about T. horridus or D. longus but nobody also just talks about plain Tyrannosaurus.

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

Probably just 'shorthand' ease of communication.

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

A number of dinosaurs have abbreviated names for the ease of verbal and written communications.   For example Trike is primarily used when referring to Ceratopsian material in the Hell Creek/ Lance Fm.  Nano is commonly used to refer to Nanotyrannus or Pachy for Pachycephalosaurus...    Even Sharks like Meg.  

• I found this Informative 1

While I haven't seen people talk about plain Tyrannosaurus, I have seen T. rex. I've also seen an informal nickname of "Trex".

I suspect that those who routinely spell out the full name just think it's a cool name: "King of the Tyrant Lizards". Much like the more-recently-described Sarcosuchus imperator: "Emperor of the Flesh-Eating Crocodiles". 

I mean, why shorten an awesome name?

• Enjoyed 1

I have heard this phenomenon referred to as  T.rex exceptionalism, where the fact that Tyrannosaurus rex is probably the most famous of all the prehistoric animals makes it unique in that regard. megalodon is in a somewhat similar position as that is the only animal I know of commonly referred to by its species name and not its genus name. 

12 hours ago, Rhiguita said:

...as that is the only animal I know of commonly referred to by its species name and not its genus name. 

I am not sure ! It is the same for hastalis and probably a few others.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Looking through online retailers, I saw a tooth being sold as "Tyrannosaurus fossil tooth". Initially, I assumed it was just a JRF tooth. But then I looked at the description, then saw species name was Tyrannosaurus rex. So thats probably the first time Ive seen someone/ seller refer to a T-rex as just Tyrannosaurus without the species name lol. 

• I found this Informative 1