Squalicorax pristodontus shark jaw composite

jikohr

Hi everyone!

This has been kind of a labor of love for me for the past few months. About a year ago I acquired a wholesale lot of 1000 Squalicorax pristodontus for use in little fossil collections I make to sell. As I was going through them I noticed the differences in shape and on a whim that turned into a labor of love thought "I'm going to see if I can make a composite jaw of this species". I checked around and couldn't find anything on a reconstructed jaw from S. pristodontus so everything is my own approximation by comparing all the teeth to each other to look for similarities is angle and proportions,  similarities to smaller Squalicorax that have been reconstructed, and similarities to the modern Tiger shark (which in my opinion and I think I saw this elsewhere as well has the most similar teeth of any modern shark to pristodontus) to figure out how many teeth where in a row and where to place them. The project took on a life of it's own in my down time and here is the end result. Anyway, I was hoping to get some feedback on it.

IMG_8738.JPG

IMG_8741.JPG

IMG_8742.JPG

IMG_8743.JPG

IMG_8744.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

Wow! That would have taken some time. Really nice effort :Smiling:

I think you're forgetting the rows of teeth in behind this one though, should we give you another week or so to complete it? :BigSmile:

I wish I could do the same thing, with Megalodon teeth 

• Enjoyed 1

That’s quite impressive! Well done, and I admire your patience to do this! 

• I Agree 1

On 11/3/2021 at 12:10 AM, Gareth_ said:

Wow! That would have taken some time. Really nice effort :Smiling:

I think you're forgetting the rows of teeth in behind this one though, should we give you another week or so to complete it? :BigSmile:

I wish I could do the same thing, with Megalodon teeth 

My intention was always to just do one row. I would have done more rows but the other teeth weren't the right size to do another complete row. The thing is, no has done this with this species before as far as I know. Megalodon composites complete with rows are pretty wide spread actually.