I think it’s a fossil

SharkySarah

Inherited a fossil collection with minerals and rocks. This was in the fossil section. Not sure what it is or where it came from 

58E40C3C-C428-40AE-8D4A-013B0FBC4FD6.jpeg

FD6A9C03-EF32-43C5-B5F9-DFFF3658344C.jpeg

8DF13939-DF89-4954-9A5B-CF1669F930B8.jpeg

It has fossil related look, there probably was a reason that it was collected, but I'm afraid it won't be positively identified as such.

Edited by Rockwood
  • I Agree 1

It looks close to what is called "coprolite from Madagascar".

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

32 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

It looks close to what is called "coprolite from Madagascar".

"Is called" often means really isn't, however. :)

"

A new hypothesis for the origin of these so‐called coprolites is proposed, relying on organic‐rich sediment, but inorganic processes. In this scenario, organic‐rich silt and clay was forcefully injected into hollow wood fragments and through knotholes, creating the characteristic features formerly cited as conclusive evidence for the fecal origin of these objects. Diagenetic processes then replaced the organic sediment protected within the wood fragments with siderite. " - (Spencer, 1993)

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I could buy that.

Of course, the glue vapors from stabilizing coalified wood, collected for the interesting bore holes, in a small hotel room may be affecting my judgement.:)

• Enjoyed 1