Unknown Schlerorhynchid from New Mexico

readinghiker

Hey all, I am having a heck of a time trying to identify this tooth.  Both Shimada and Kirkland suggest that it is a schlerorhynchid, but I have not 

found anything in the literature that resembles this morphology.  The shoulders of the tooth are slightly oriented labially, the apical cusp is rounded

(due to deposition or weathering?  If so, why is the keel still so pronounced?), there are no transverse ridges, there is a fairly large lingual uvula, and there is a single arched lingual ridge on each shoulder.  This one has me stumped!  Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Randy

20211027_162727079.png

• I found this Informative 1

More shots of that are needed.  In fact, you should shoot an apical and basal view as well as a profile.  Also, what is the size?

Here are some more shots.  It is pointless to shoot a basal view, as the root is eroded away.  Please let me know if these added photos help in the

identification of this tooth! 

20211023_184325611.png

20211023_184353794.png

20211023_184716012.png

20211023_184605628.png

Thanks, Carl.

Looking through all of the Ischtrhyza species, I can't find anything with the same morphology.  I just got an e-mail from Dr. Kenshu Shimada, and he thinks it might be

something new. So there is more to research ahead!

Randy

• Enjoyed 1