Are lepidodendron bulbils an actual thing?

DardS8Br

There is a seller that is selling a lepidodendron bulbil, stating that it explicitly isn’t a cone and is very rare. Are lepidodendron bulbils an actual thing? I can’t find anything online

B6E0EB85-1805-4369-B4EF-A585EF35E583.jpeg

869C6F18-EA57-4553-98A8-0EF411A83A71.jpeg

37CD75C4-5573-461F-A7DA-C077B13718E1.jpeg

3367460B-F0E6-4BF2-B77B-B7E561CC2470.jpeg

6 minutes ago, DardS8Br said:

I can’t find anything online

You might need to get into technical papers for it. It could be the designation for an immature Lepidostrobus.

@paleoflor Would probably know.

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

If you're thinking this is a shameless bump of the topic into position, you're right.

@Plantguy

I saw that interesting fossil and I dont know the answer as to whether lycopsids produced bulbils and is this an example of one. Their primary means of reproduction were the spores/cone structures and I only see mention of bulbils in very old literature--nothing on how to distinguish/ID them from a quick look at some of the docs. I'd have to check with some of the experts to tell you but maybe Tim knows/can tell you for sure. That particular seller has had volumes of exceptional material over the years and seems to be much more versed than I. If I hear something after Tim responds I'll let you know. sorry not much help here..

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bulbils do occur in modern lycophytes such as Huperzia selago, I believe. The only mentioning of bulbils in the context of Carboniferous lepidodendrales that I can recall is a (outdated) theory postulated by Stur (1875-1877) that Ulodendron-type scars represent the impressions of bulbils or their point of attachment. See for example Jonker (1976) or Thomas et al. (2010) for more recent interpretations of Ulodendron-type scars. I have never seen any bulbils themselves, though. According to DiMichele et al. (1985), "none of the lycopod trees had vegetative reproduction". This does not fit well with bulbils, which are a form of vegetative reproduction, I believe. The might very well be more recent insights, though - 1985 is a while ago...

Based on the photograph and scale indicator, I think I know who might have had this specimen listed on online. If I'm correct about this, then I should say I have purchased multiple items from and always had excellent experiences with this particular seller. My suggestion would be to simply contact him and ask for more information. I have done this with some of his other specimens before and always received a prompt and reliable reply. Would be curious to know more about how he arrived at this ID.

Edited by paleoflor
  • I found this Informative 2

Searching for green in the dark grey.