Moved to IS IT REAL?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

How do you say the root is added? because by analyzing it closely, I can see the cracks on the crown that continue perfectly into the root. Furthermore, to the touch the outside of the root is smooth and seems to reflect the colors of the crown. Are you sure?

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Carcharodontosaurus Tooth

Beautiful tooth :)

However as other stated the root looks attached to it. 

I recommend you throw the whole tooth in Acetone and see what happens. 

I just link to my topic regarding this and hope you find some inspiration there :) 

• I Agree 1

You asked for the opinion of the forum members and I agree with them.  You can soak the area with acetone and see what happen.   There is a darker color band around the base of the crown should not be there.   Also the root should flow from the crown and not have a step.

1636390007732.jpg.17fe06f19ac1164105ac0f1934fd69ad.jpg

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, joeride95 said:

Are you sure?

Yes, the root is fake but the crown is still really really nice. Like @Troodon suggested, you could soak the area in acetone which may remove the glued on fake part.

1 hour ago, joeride95 said:

I can see the cracks on the crown that continue perfectly into the root.

I can see them, too. They did a really good job in matching it that way.

But I don´t understand this:

20 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Also the root should flow from the crown and not have a step.

Why did they make such a simple error? Ignorance?
Franz Bernhard

One more thought if you are happy with the tooth the way it is, accept for what it is and know what it is.  Its a beautiful crown.

6 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

I can see them, too. They did a really good job in matching it that way.

But I don´t understand this:

Why did they make such a simple error? Ignorance?
Franz Bernhard

Who knows, could simply be what material they had available to composite with or ignorance.   It does look presentable.  Its not an easy task to add material to a tooth.

• I found this Informative 1

What did you do soak the entire tooth to get the breakage on the crown?  The local area would have been best.  There still seems to be fill around the crown and they might have use epoxy to join the base to crown for stability.   The crown can be reattached and I would leave the tooth as is.  

Whereas i agreed with the analysis of the root being added based on the first pictures,  seeing the result after acetone it seems the root is actually real. The base looks like bone or enamel, and the cracks are in continuity from the carina, which cant be counterfeit.

What others think ?

30 minutes ago, Pixpaleosky said:

Whereas i agreed with the analysis of the root being added based on the first pictures,  seeing the result after acetone it seems the root is actually real. The base looks like bone or enamel, and the cracks are in continuity from the carina, which cant be counterfeit.

What others think ?

Looks like a real root that has been attached.  There is a ridge that is just below the crown it should not be there.   The root actually looks nicer.

The root is true and has not been attacked. In a few days I will post the photos of the completely cleaned and consolidated tooth.

• 1 year later...
On 11/9/2021 at 1:52 PM, joeride95 said:

In a few days I will post the photos of the completely cleaned and consolidated tooth.

:popcorn:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

To soak fossils in acetone, without 100% knowledge what has been done to it and how the fossil will react, is a very stupid advice! Curious to see how OP put it back together...