Green River fm.

Nipponites

Hello,  

Next summer I am going to visit Northamerica for my first time, and would really like to visit a Green River commercial quarry; my problems (doubts) are:

Which one is the better quarry?, referring to abundance and variety.

I live in Spain, and I guess  the fossils are too heavy to carry on a plane, so I thought to send them by mail, will I have problems with customs?. In that case, can someone from the quarry provide me a certificate that these fossils have been legally collected?

Which messaging company should I use?, preferably a careful one.

How should I pack the fossils to protect them?

Any other info/advise will also be gratefully thanked.

American Fossil in Kemmerer, WY!  Their advertisement is "We have the only quarry in the world where you can dig for fossils and keep what you find." 

I have had the personal pleasure of collecting at this quarry on  two occasions. @sseth, a fossil forum member, owns it. On a scale of 1 to 100, my experience at American Fossil was 99!!! Staff is great and their instructions on how to make your hunt a success is great. You WILL find more fish that you can conceivably take home.  Use of their rock saws allows one to minimize the unwanted matrix around fossils to take home, especially if you are transporting them all the way to Spain. The ONLY negative is DUST if windy! Plan on getting "dirty"! This would be similar for any other quarry in the area.  

Even though I "recommend" American fossil" based on my experiences, I by no means suggest other local quarries are inferior. 

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

If this is a special trip you might also consider doing a dig in the 18" layer. This is different than the Split Fish layer, which is what you would typically be looking in if you visited the major quarries open to the public during business hours. Some of the best fossils are found in the 18" layer. Its usually a very premium experience. You can contact the major quarries to see if they offer 18" digs and pricing. You can also contact some of the local fossil dealers in Kemmerer (just do an internet search for "kemmerer fossil shop" in maps). I know of at least one that offers private digs in the 18" layer, complete with gourmet catering. Definitely a once in a lifetime type of opportunity.

Just be aware, the 18" layer requires extensive prep on their finds. Many species of fish are found in the regular quarries. Palm leaves, stingrays, bats, birds, etc. are also occasionally stumbled upon

4 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Just be aware, the 18" layer requires extensive prep on their finds. Many species of fish are found in the regular quarries. Palm leaves, stingrays, bats, birds, etc. are also occasionally stumbled upon

and it is much more expensive

Thank you very much to everyone for your help.

I only have dental picks and an engraver, then I will go to split layer.

I will go in August and return with many questions, so you will see my findings here.

Cheers