★trilobite__Hammatocnemis★

CAESAR

Very nice... I often wonder what that yellowish deposit on various trilobites from China? Composition??? Is it some sort of mineral deposit during preservation? Is it clay particles ? Does the color come off when you wash the fossil? Almost like nature took a paint brush and painted the fossil yellow to stand out in brilliant contrast. Great to see images of fossils from China.

Peter

Edited by pleecan

@Caesar

Very nice specimen! Thanks for showing.

@Pleecan,

I guess you are mainly referring to the Coronocephalus specimens which often show up in a shade of yellow.

It's not really something exclusive for Chinese trilobites, and this type of preservation is not at all dominant in Chinese trilobites.

It would although indeed be caused by the mineral composition of the sediment. The yellow colors in trilobites from the Cambrian of Skryje (Czech Republic) and various localities in Morocco are, as far as I know, caused by minerals originating from oxidized iron minerals, such as limonite.

Hope this answers at least part of your question.

cheers,

Mark

Very nice... I often wonder what that yellowish deposit on various trilobites from China? Composition??? Is it some sort of mineral deposit during preservation? Is it clay particles ? Does the color come off when you wash the fossil? Almost like nature took a paint brush and painted the fossil yellow to stand out in brilliant contrast. Great to see images of fossils from China.

Peter

Thank you pleecan!

The yellow deposit on many chinese trilobites is the Iron-containing minerals,and it can be washed off by water.

@Caesar

Very nice specimen! Thanks for showing.

@Pleecan,

I guess you are mainly referring to the Coronocephalus specimens which often show up in a shade of yellow.

It's not really something exclusive for Chinese trilobites, and this type of preservation is not at all dominant in Chinese trilobites.

It would although indeed be caused by the mineral composition of the sediment. The yellow colors in trilobites from the Cambrian of Skryje (Czech Republic) and various localities in Morocco are, as far as I know, caused by minerals originating from oxidized iron minerals, such as limonite.

Hope this answers at least part of your question.

cheers,

Mark

Hi FrozenInTime!

I agree with your point of view

Hi Mark and Caesar: Thanks for your reply... I got 2 trilobite from China ... different species and has the similar yellow colour hence the curiosity.

Peter