Should I Prep This Trilobite?

skiman1016

I have this Greenops that I found at Penn Dixie and I was wondering if it would be worth it to prep it more or leave it as it is. It looks like it’s possible the cephalon is still encased in rock since it looks like the genal spines may be barely present (see red circles). I only have small hand tools (dental picks, pin vise) to do the prep work. 

3B5692EE-5A5A-4003-A5E3-1D09823A21AE.jpeg

BB244B45-0009-4C9A-94FF-A08AC5D6F88B.jpeg

If those are genal spines showing (which I somewhat have doubts about), the length is possibly suggestive of Bellacartwrightia sp. Also, the lappets may also be indicative of the same. One of the more diagnostic traits is a row of nodes down the middle of the axis, but your specimen seems to be abraded in that area.

I would not advise using non-air tools for this trilobite. None of the asteropyginae from PD are terribly amenable to picks and pins, unfortunately. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Nice find! I agree with Kane, this really should be prepped with air tools. You could send it to a professional to work on but I'm skeptical that those are the genal spines. Could you add some close-ups?

I too would either wait til you have right tools (a lots of practice) to self prep or send to someone who knows who best to prep Penn Dixie stuff.

I'm in the same boat with trilobite from a different locale. Pretty sure complete but most of thorax and all of cephalon is buried. I don't trust myself to attempt as it is my 1st from that spot. So it sits waiting in a box

Good luck which ever you decide!

I agree with, Kris @Ptychodus04.

I have done business with him a couple times and had an awesome experience.

I have never actually had him prepare any of my fossils, but I have seen many pictures of his amazing work and heard many good things about his prep work.  

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, you all made great points. I’ll definitely take your advice and leave it alone. I’ve attached a closer pic. 

@Ptychodus04 I’ll keep that offer in mind, I have a whole box of rocks from Penn Dixie to go through. 

F0A641F0-1E8A-4EC8-B23E-D33E4596595D.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1