Moroccan trilobite.

Anders Jonasson

Bought this trilobite a while ago. 

Looks legit to me but I´m a beginner. There is a crack running through both matrix and specimen from when it was found.

Prep job maybee could be better. Is there any restoration on this one?

Supposed to be an Adrisiops weugi

Grateful for any help.

20211114_131311.jpg

20211114_131324.jpg

20211114_131354.jpg

20211114_131458.jpg

20211114_131440.jpg

20211114_131406.jpg

Looks authentic, and may be far too common to make fabrication worthwhile. No obvious restoration that I can see, as that would likely be appearing along the crack or at the thoracic segment that appears to overlap the slightly compressed posterior side. Not all the segments are completely cleared of matrix with some areas possibly missing shell, all of which has been coated with a uniform colour and sheen to cover the preparation's sins. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

42 minutes ago, Kane said:

all of which has been coated with a uniform colour and sheen to cover the preparation's sins. 

Thanks! .:)

My english isn´t 100%. Do you meen that they have coated the whole trilobite with colour or just the preparation sins?

By the way is the ID correct?

I think the whole trilobite may be coated to lend it a uniform appearance. This is not uncommon practice, and can add a bit of aesthetic appeal for those who prefer it. In some cases, this can be reversed by adding acetone. 

I believe the identification is likely correct on account of a few of the diagnostic traits including the particular curvature or "puckered" look of the anterior glabella, the prominent ridge beneath the eye, and the kind of rice-grain tuberculate texture that increases as one proceeds to the anterior portion of the glabella. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 minutes ago, Kane said:

I think the whole trilobite may be coated to lend it a uniform appearance. This is not uncommon practice, and can add a bit of aesthetic appeal for those who prefer it. In some cases, this can be reversed by adding acetone. 

I believe the identification is likely correct on account of a few of the diagnostic traits including the particular curvature or "puckered" look of the anterior glabella, the prominent ridge beneath the eye, and the kind of rice-grain tuberculate texture that increases as one proceeds to the anterior portion of the glabella. 

Thanks! Much appreciated :)

That's a real Adrisiops weugi, as already Kane mentioned. I'll just add that regarding preparation, these are very sticky and in a hard matrix, nightmare to prep, therefore for the cheap price a good commercial blast job. I don't see any obvious painted/restored areas from these pics. 

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, aeon.rocks said:

That's a real Adrisiops weugi, as already Kane mentioned. I'll just add that regarding preparation, these are very sticky and in a hard matrix, nightmare to prep, therefore for the cheap price a good commercial blast job. I don't see any obvious painted/restored areas from these pics. 

Thanks! Yes matrix is definitely hard. I think prep is absolute ok for the price I paid. :)