Any good Dinosaur book recommendations?

Phos_01

Hello everyone,

I need to provide me Xmas wishlist, and off course it had to involve Dinosaurs lol :bone_claw:

Do you have some good Dinosaur book recommendations? 

Mostly looking for images and found locations, and some scientific facts. Not all text

Looking forward to what you guys recommend!

Best wishes 

Just now, Troodon said:

some ideas

Thanks Frank, forgot to mention above I have already followed your topic and stated some of there on my list, thank you for this :dinothumb: Im looking for a Dinosaur for beginners sort of thing, I still need to learn allot

29 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

Thanks Frank, forgot to mention above I have already followed your topic and stated some of there on my list, thank you for this :dinothumb: Im looking for a Dinosaur for beginners sort of thing, I still need to learn allot

Just added a page of books check it out

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Just added a page of books check it out

Thanks ! Ill add the one from Keneth Carpenter 'The Carnivorous Dinosaurs'

Im mostly looking for one book that covers all the basic species, found locations ,and lots of illustrations , I think 'The Dinosauria' will cover this

3 hours ago, Phos_01 said:

Thanks ! Ill add the one from Keneth Carpenter 'The Carnivorous Dinosaurs'

Im mostly looking for one book that covers all the basic species, found locations ,and lots of illustrations , I think 'The Dinosauria' will cover this

Yes its the best general book.  Make sure its the 2nd edition.   This edition was published in 2007 so a lot of the dinosaur distribution section is just not current.  For example the Hell Creek Fm distribution has had major changes not reflected in this publication and really is not usable.   Really need a 3rd edition.   However its the best we have.

• Thank You 1

@Phos_01, @Troodon Have either of you looked at Fossils (DK Smithsonian Handbook) by chance? I took a look to see how many of these were available in the ebook version for quick searching capability and also came across this one which was reviewed well at a more introductory level. Very cheap so I may just get it anyways but figured I'd ask and share.

*Frank*

You can see what has been printed at your local library and try to find the ones that suit your need and buy them.

• I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

1 hour ago, FB003 said:

@Phos_01, @Troodon Have either of you looked at Fossils (DK Smithsonian Handbook) by chance? I took a look to see how many of these were available in the ebook version for quick searching capability and also came across this one which was reviewed well at a more introductory level. Very cheap so I may just get it anyways but figured I'd ask and share.

No have not looked at any.   Which one are you referring to?

One thing you really need to consider is books need to be fairly current.  What we know about dinosaurs has changed significantly over the past 10 years.  Old books or ebooks can be very out of date and some of those listed in my topic fit that

17 minutes ago, Troodon said:

No have not looked at any.   Which one are you referring to?

One thing you really need to consider is books need to be fairly current.  What we know about dinosaurs has changed significantly over the past 10 years.  Old books or ebooks can be very out of date and some of those listed in my topic fit that

Fossils (DK Smithsonian Handbook) is actually the title and it’s a 2021 edition. The sample I looked at likely wouldn’t benefit anyone advanced but for inexperienced it looks to be a decent introductory reference tool. I’ll update here after I take a look once it downloads. Only 8 bucks so nothing to lose.

*Frank*

Downloaded and checked it out.  Very high level.  Not focused on a specific grouping of fossils.  For someone experienced like yourself, no benefit at all.  For someone new, useful if you know what species you are looking for for verification.  I would not recommend it at all if dinosaurs are someones primary focus. Oh well.

• Thank You 1

*Frank*

A good book that I have is the Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs. It has a lot of bone maps and illustrations.

Edited by Nanotyrannus35
grammar

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

These are some books I would recommend that are pretty good and fund to go through.51DuixK1hhL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.jpg

Jurasic west is a pretty good book that has a recent second edition talking about the morrison formation.

51uCfefUx3L._SY419_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg Saurian is mostly an art book, but it is a beautiful one that also goes over a large part of hell creek.

41gTPt6OYgL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg This one mostly focuses on  Mesozoic birds but it has wonderful illustrations.

• I found this Informative 2

14 hours ago, Nanotyrannus35 said:

A good book that I have is the Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs. It has a lot of bone maps and illustrations.

10 hours ago, Rhiguita said:

These are some books I would recommend that are pretty good and fund to go through.51DuixK1hhL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.jpg

Jurasic west is a pretty good book that has a recent second edition talking about the morrison formation.

51uCfefUx3L._SY419_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg Saurian is mostly an art book, but it is a beautiful one that also goes over a large part of hell creek.

41gTPt6OYgL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg This one mostly focuses on  Mesozoic birds but it has wonderful illustrations.

Thank you for sharing these! Ill look into it

1 hour ago, FB003 said:

Give us a review once you get whatever you end up picking!  Be interested to see what you think of them.

Will do ! I will get one as a present from someone of my family so its a surprise what it will be 

• Thank You 1