DFW creek - November 8th

BudB

Last Monday, I had a dentist appointment in the morning in Dallas. I left afterward and drove a few miles west to check out a new creek. This part of the creek is mapped as Eagle Ford, but the few fossils I found all appear to have come from a red zone in the outcrop that I've never seen in an Eagle Ford area before, only Ozan. But in this part of DFW, Austin Chalk is between Eagle Ford and Ozan, and they are miles apart. I'll leave it to the experts here to tell me if this is really Eagle Ford.

Here are the ammonite pieces I found.

dfw01001.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

And then there was this imprint. It's plainly an ammonite, but the size of its arc seems way too big for the size of the shell. Does anyone recognize this?

dfw01004.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

52 minutes ago, BudB said:

And I didn't recognize this either. The interesting texture on its outside made me pick it up.

Looks like fecal pellets from some type of crustacean.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Yup. Looks like a crustacean burrow cast. Many crustaceans strengthen the walls of their burrows (especially in softer sands and muds) by lining them with fecal pellets. This has that telltale texture.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

It looks like you stumbled into the Britton Formation. The crustacean burrow is called Ophiomorpha nodosa.

• I found this Informative 3

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

I found similar if not the same bacculites and first ammonite on the Trinity and a location south of there, I'm assuming both are part of Britton also.  Looks like some Metoicoceras and the imprint is likely from a heteromorph ammonite like these which came from same location.

IMG_20211115_193417785.jpg

Edited by Lone Hunter
  • I Agree 1

I agree these look like typical Britton Formation fossils and preservation, except for the ammonite impression in photo 3.  The first are Metoicoceras as was suggested above, likely Metoicoceras geslinianum.  The baculitids are Sciponiceras gracile.  The curved ammonite is a heteromorph, Allocrioceras.  The last fossil is an Ophiomorpha, as was already suggested.  These are all typical Britton Formation finds. 

Don

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, BudB said:

I liked this ammonite imprint in this rock.

dfw01003.jpg

Collignoniceras woollgari from the Kamp Ranch Limestone which is part of the Arcadia Park Formation.

https://www.smu.edu/-/media/Site/Dedman/Academics/InstitutesCenters/ISEM/Images/Ocean-Dallas/oceandallas.pdf

71D271DD-6D2A-4FA2-A9ED-2364C695B4FE.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

If you ever go back keep an eye out for these guys, Britton is probably most notable for it's crabs but they can be hard to spot when covered in mud.:look:

IMG_20211117_201758290.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 3

On 11/15/2021 at 4:22 PM, BudB said:

And then there was this imprint. It's plainly an ammonite, but the size of its arc seems way too big for the size of the shell. Does anyone recognize this?

dfw01004.jpg

I would have thought this was Glyptoxoceras.

edit: I just noticed that it was decided this is not the Ozan so if it's the Britton then I retract my guess.

Edited by BobWill
  • I found this Informative 1