Mazon Creek specimens for ID

Mark Kmiecik

I have six more MC specimens that I need help with identifying. Again, down to species level if possible. The only one I'm fairly sure of is the Coprolite.

A0007.thumb.JPG.b951c56bfe9c53b0cbdff3277ba93f71.JPG A0012.JPG H0017.thumb.JPG.7c9ca77e8067192f2bd03d63c319fc25.JPG

E0025.JPG E0057.JPG C0058.JPG

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
  • Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

A0007 - looks like a bivalve perhaps? I'd be interested to see some close up pictures, it does not look like any of the common species to me.

A0012 - if anything, probably coprolite

E0025 - definitely coprolite

H0017 - Lepidostrobophyllum cone bract, maybe L. lanceolatus

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, connorp said:

A0007 - looks like a bivalve perhaps? I'd be interested to see some close up pictures, it does not look like any of the common species to me.

A0012 - if anything, probably coprolite

E0025 - definitely coprolite

H0017 - Lepidostrobophyllum cone bract, maybe L. lanceolatus

Part of A7 is still in the matrix; I'd say about 10 to 15 percent. I'm leaning towards Edmondia ovata on that one. A12 has the look of a poorly preserved Octomedusa pieckorum, but I don't see any "bits" of flora or fauna to suggest that it's a Coprolite; perhaps it's just another indeterminate MC "blob". Coprolite is what I had in mind for E25. I agree that H17 is Lepidostrobophyllum, and am trying to pinpoint the species. C58 I'm lost because of all the changes in nomenclature, and E57 is one of those "whatever you throw at me, I'll probably swing at it". I appreciate your taking a look. Thank you.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
fix typo

Mark.

I found this chart online (I forget where) which might help. The chart is not MC specific, and not all species here are present in the MC flora.

617063387_Lepidostrobophyllumchart.thumb.jpg.9222e829b968843b25ea4dcde5ec8123.jpg

@Nimravis Ralph, what's your take on these? I think E0057 is Carpolithus, page 227 in Wittry's guide. Very similar. I'm thinking A0007 is Edmondia ovata.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
fix typo

Mark.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:37 AM, connorp said:

@Mark Kmiecik I am thinking Sedgwickia (sp?)

On 11/20/2021 at 9:27 PM, Nimravis said:

@Mark Kmiecik I am thinking Sedgwickia (sp?)

Proportionally, I don't think there's enough concretion to encompass the length of a Sedgwickia, assuming the specimen is complete. There's no hint of anything trying to poke its head out of the sides of the nodule. Of course it may be something other than a bivalve. E57 is that one you photographed and posted the day you were here which didn't get any guesses from anyone.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
fix typo

Mark.

In my opinion placing #0057 in Carpolithus (the seed genus of last resort) is appropriate. It is a seed and lacks any well defined features. Unfortunately there is not much there for me to be much help.

Cheers,

Jack

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, fiddlehead said:

In my opinion placing #0057 in Carpolithus (the seed genus of last resort) is appropriate. It is a seed and lacks any well defined features. Unfortunately there is not much there for me to be much help.

Cheers,

Jack

Thanks, Jack.

Anybody have any more thoughts on the others? A0007, A0012, C0058 specifically?

Mark.