Mystery Danville Trace Fossil

bamontgomery

Hi all.  I found some pretty cool boulders of calcite littered with crinoid impressions in a public park in Danville, IL back in late August, but left everything until I got approval from their park department to remove them.  I finally heard back last month, but didn't get around to going until today.  I found a few interesting things that I'll post when they're cleaned up, but I probably won't even begin the process until Thursday.  In the meantime I took a photo of a trace fossil that was sitting near the top of one of the specimens.  I can identify most of the things in the pieces, but am stumped by this one.  I probably should have gotten a ruler for measurement, but I snapped it after picking my son up at school and had to do it quickly.  The photo didn't come out as clearly as I had hoped, and can retake it if necessary.  It came from Vermillion County, which makes it Pennsylvanian.  Any ideas?

255978912_623607112405614_261115917485003357_n.jpg

Hi,

While waiting to obtain a rule, you can print the document provided in the first link of my signature.

Coco

• Enjoyed 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Maybe it's a crinoid calyx plate (or imprint of a plate).

P.S.: If it's a cystoid plate, the geological time is not Carboniferous.

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Since it was found with other crinoid remains, I would lean towards a calyx plate for this item.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That looks like something crinoid-related to me as well. I'll also mention that it is quite likely the stone does not originate from the area- stone from elsewhere in Illinois and Indiana is used frequently in Champaign and Vermilion counties since there is not a good local source for hard rock. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

It just struck me as looking like some of the material I collected at Red Hill. I can't check it now to even begin an argument that bucks those odds. :shrug:

Okay.  Here are my fossil finds and some rocks that I need some help with.  Let's start with those calcite finds.  There are trace fossils everywhere on these on every side, but I only took a few closeups.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I should have taken some closeups of this one.  There's a coating over the trace fossils that obscures them.  Not sure what it is.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I found these buried with one of the big buys above.  I grabbed them because I couldn't tell what they were.  Are these chert pieces?  What's the seem in them?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

I grabbed this one in one of the digs as well.  The dirt was really caked on, but the color in the second photo was visible and bright pink at the time, so I took it.  It required a lot of washing, and it turned out to be...conglomerate.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I've been grabbing stuff like this recently in Danville and Crawfordsville thinking it was brecciated jasper.  Now I'm thinking that it might just be granite.  Any thoughts?

1.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Here are a couple of mid sized finds that I thought were jaspers when I took them, but maybe they're chert?  There's no real difference between the two though, right?  We just call something chert if it's boring jasper?  There are some lines in the first picture that become much more apparent when it's wet as well as some holes.  I'm not sure what's going on there.

1.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

One last question!  Is there anything I can do about that algae staining without harming the fossils in the first three?

In specimen 1-3 there are many crinoid stems, internal molds of lumens and external molds of stems.

crinoid-internal-mold-lumen-copy.jpg.b1a66ebe9bc7d6aefb583cc500ba8e22.jpg

Picture from here: https://woostergeologists.scotblogs.wooster.edu/2016/04/08/woosters-fossil-of-the-week-a-crinoid-stem-internal-mold-from-the-lower-carboniferous-of-ohio/

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library