apavone76

I've been finding what I believe are eggs of prehistoric animals mainly turtles or tortoises.  I've been told they are rocks so I decided to sand one down and discovered what looks to be a turtle inside. I'm  I have not been able to find others with turtles inside but realize they didn't hatch for a reason either they weren't fertilized or they were or died before they were hatched.  Alsoi am currently homeless and do not have a lot of resources at my disposal (besides time) or the knowledge of what I'm doing.   The larger egg  has  a brown leathery patch covering approx a quarter of the egg.

IMG_20211118_122416.jpg

IMG_20211118_122635.jpg

IMG_20211118_122629.jpg

IMG_20211118_122622.jpg

IMG_20211118_122613.jpg

IMG_20211118_122605.jpg

I'm just seeing rocks, water can tumble rocks and pebbles into rounded shapes and that's what it looks like happened here.

• I Agree 2

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

No eggshell texture.

I'm rather afraid that these are water tumbled rocks and the bits you're holding in your hands would appear to be chert.  

• I Agree 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Like they said, no eggshell texture and these all appear to be water-worn rocks. Because rocks tend to be water worn down to rounded shapes we have many new members looking for confirmation of what they believe to be eggs. 99.99% of the time they are not. Here's a good link that one of our members (who studies fossilized eggs) posted. It should hopefully give you an idea of what real fossilized eggs look like:

Cheers.

-Ken

I know my pictures are horrible unfortunately all I have is a Chromebook to take the pictures with the front camera, From picture 2 to the last I have no doubt that it is a turtle egg because it originally looked like one of the smaller ones in the first picture, I sanded it down myself.  The fifth picture down shows, the  bottom of a turtle shell, so unless a baby turtle died on the bottom of the ocean and started rolling around and turned into a rock, it's not a rock. Plus every one I  have broken in half, (10 +) reveal an outer ring around the edge (shell) and most will show similar things inside.   As soon as I get a phone or camera I will post pictures of this and retake the ones I have already posted.

5 minutes ago, apavone76 said:

I know my pictures are horrible unfortunately all I have is a Chromebook to take the pictures with the front camera, From picture 2 to the last I have no doubt that it is a turtle egg because it originally looked like one of the smaller ones in the first picture, I sanded it down myself.  The fifth picture down shows, the  bottom of a turtle shell, so unless a baby turtle died on the bottom of the ocean and started rolling around and turned into a rock, it's not a rock. Plus every one I  have broken in half, (10 +) reveal an outer ring around the edge (shell) and most will show similar things inside.   As soon as I get a phone or camera I will post pictures of this and retake the ones I have already posted.

These are definitely not eggs.

There is really no point in posting pictures here to try to convince us these are eggs.

That is quite unlikely.

Your mind is already made up about this, and you won't be getting any confirmation here.  I have to wonder why you would persist in trying to convince us.

Please take your items to a local university paleontologist, or  natural history museum with a paleontologist on staff.

Let us know what you find out.  Best of luck to you.

There is nothing further to be gained by discussing these items.

Topic is locked.

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 locked this topic

[Typed as Tim was locking down this topic which has run its course.]

Your photos show perfectly what you have. Your rocks appear to be nothing more than water rounded cobbles. Because flowing water will knock the points off rocks making them vaguely rounded over time they approach a shape that we also recognize in eggs and in our minds they look egg-shaped to us. But that is merely a quirk of geometry--the rounded forms have no points to be further knocked off by tumbling in water and are a very stable form. Eggs are egg-shaped because they distribute forces evenly over their shells and protect what is inside. That is the extent of the similarity between eggs and egg-shaped rocks.

We see a steady stream of rounded rocks--quite often layered concretions in which the layers are mistaken for the shell material (even when it is way too thick to function as a shell). Only a single time that I can remember has the object presented here actually been an egg.

If you took the time to read my link in my last reply, you would have seen that actual fossilized eggs have particular distinguishing features that show them to be eggs--primarily the texture of the eggshell. Your rocks do not show that texture--not because they have worn away (or because you've sanded it off) but because they never had textured shell material in the first place (they are rounded cobbles and not eggs). We can plainly see that--we've seen hundreds of "eggs" over the years by similar well-meaning folks like yourself. Take our word for it as we have no motive for dismissing real eggs. Read through the post I linked in this message to see how we are amazed and (quite envious) of a real fossilized egg. You have to believe that we have no reason to try to deceive you.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2