Lone Hunter

This was found at same location as Rockwood's tooth,  Grayson marl Washita group.  I'm still getting familiar with things here and this is first tooth I've found and hopefully it's Ptychodus? :)

IMG_20211119_182021641.jpg

IMG_20211119_182038258.jpg

IMG_20211119_182202116.jpg

IMG_20211119_182244099.jpg

The Grayson Marl is equivalent to the Del Rio Clay here in Central Texas.  It is rare to find a ptychodontidae type of shark tooth in this Lower Cenomanian formation.  I have never found one.  That being said, according to the NMMNH Bulletin 81, there are only two or three similar shark teeth that your fossil could be (assuming it didn't just wash down a creek to where you found it) - Paraptychodus washitaensis, Ptychodus anonymous, or Ptychodus rhombodus (early juvenile P. occidentalis?). I am not sure about yours.  It has a higher crown and shape like P. anonymous posterior or lateral.  But, the ridges don't usually reach the edge of the tooth except in P. occidentalis/rhombodus.  And, also later in P. decurrens.  It also has a longshot of being a Paraptychodus lateral or posterior file tooth.

Edited by LSCHNELLE
  • I found this Informative 2

Interesting, awhile back on my first post from this spot I thought I was in Woodbine according to map and was confused, I was informed that it was Grayson. 

• I found this Informative 1

The Woodbine is just above the Buda/Grayson sequence.  If you were in the Woodbine, then no Paraptychodus teeth.  But, the tooth would be more likely to be a Ptychodus.  Either P. anonymous, P. rhombodus, or P. occidentalis. Possibly P. decurrens. 

12 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Interesting, awhile back on my first post from this spot I thought I was in Woodbine according to map and was confused, I was informed that it was Grayson. 

This can be where maps fall short.  In areas where stratigraphic units are thin the mapping can be only an approximation.  What you need to do is obtain the descriptions of these various units and compare to what you are finding.  

• I Agree 1

On 11/20/2021 at 10:13 AM, erose said:

This can be where maps fall short.  In areas where stratigraphic units are thin the mapping can be only an approximation.  What you need to do is obtain the descriptions of these various units and compare to what you are finding.  

I agree with Erich.  For instance, when you see an outcrop of Ozan Formation near the contact with the Austin Group, in a nearby creek bed you might be in the top of the Austin Group. It works the same for an Austin Group outcrop close to the Eagle Ford contact area. The geologic maps rarely account for very small outcrops like that. 

• I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice tooth. Nice find!

Everytime such a tooth appears in your eyesite, you get a woah moment. I call them "golden moments"

Have a nice weekend, and if you are going on fossilhunt..Succes!!

Regards

Mike.

Here is one of my "golden moments" the second find this year in Israel (Menuha formation)

Sorry about the sigaret package..i didn't had a scale with me.

IMG_20211122_151927_457.jpg

• I Agree 1