Part of a tiny jaw from Grayson marl, can it be identified?

Lone Hunter

I have usually looked for the bigger things at this site but this time focused on the small and in a different area.  Didn't even realize what this was until I got home and put on my glasses and went through things,  it's not in the best shape but hopefully someone can make out what it is. This was in Grayson marl Washita group.

IMG_20211119_204517349.jpg

IMG_20211119_204459501.jpg

IMG_20211119_204228041.jpg

IMG_20211119_204141578.jpg

IMG_20211119_203941551.jpg

IMG_20211119_203910241.jpg

IMG_20211119_203751986.jpg

Edited by Lone Hunter
  • Enjoyed 1

• Lone Hunter changed the title to Part of a tiny jaw from Grayson marl, can it be identified?
1 hour ago, Lone Hunter said:

I think your sleep posting :ironic:

:zzzzscratchchin: Nope. I rechecked after a cup of coffee.

That's covered with sand, whatever it is, so, I don't see it. :)

It's an intriguing piece buy all I can make out is 2 or 3 "somethings" sticking out of "something." The 2 that are close together have similar shapes, with some differences like size and orientation, yet they could just as well be in matrix as they could be in bone. The images are not clear enough to tell for certain what is holding the parts together.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

I can see this possibly being a jaw segment as you suggest.  But as others have said it is rather scrappy and still covered in sandy matrix.  I have boxes of small "jaw" fragments that have eluded identification. I keep them because sooner or later (or maybe never) I will either find a more complete specimen or a better reference paper or book will show up.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1