Dinosaur Egg? Or Just An Odd Rock?

38 replies to this topic

#1 Mattison

Mattison

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:03 AM

I have included a few pics, hope they help with an ID! Thanks in advanceDinosaur Egg 007.JPG Dinosaur Egg 002.JPG

#2 baybay

baybay

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:25 AM

It looks very similar to a Hadrosaur egg, did you find it yourself?

#3 tracer

tracer

Member of the Month 02/09

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,639 posts

Awards

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:45 AM

it looks like some sort of concretion in which the surface was covered with a semi-translucent mineral. it appears as if the mineral below the surface mineral may have undergone expansion due to water absorption or something and cracked the surface of the less-porous exterior mineral. i'm not seeing anything resembling eggshell at all.
Posted Image

#4 Nicholas

Nicholas

Member of the Month 12/08

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts

Awards

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:58 AM

I agree with tracer here, seems to be concretion like to me.

Other details like locality, age of the formation, size of the specimen... these would all help with the ID process.

Posted Image

#5 Shamalama

Shamalama

Member of the Month 01/10

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,451 posts

Awards

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:08 AM

Need more info... geographic location to start and type/age of rocks if you know it.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemah...o.blogspot.com/

#6 Mattison

Mattison

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:00 AM

OK, I found it on 3/4/10 (yesterday). I live in a high desert area of the White Mountains in Arizona. (North East Arizona approx 1/2 way up the State and approx. 20 miles West of NM State line) It is approx. 6"long and approx. 3-3 1/2" wide on one end and approx 4-4 1/2" wide on the broken end. Not sure of the weight as I do not have a scale.

I had put max pic size when I posted this so I am adding more here. Guess I should have cleaned it up a bit prior to taking the pics. The white color is the bottom from how I found it.

Dinosaur Egg 001.JPG

Thanks for the input!

Attached Thumbnails

• Dinosaur Egg 004.JPG

Edited by Mattison, 05 March 2010 - 10:01 AM.

#7 Xiphactinus

Xiphactinus

***** GDB Award 02/11/09 ***** Member of the Month, Mar. 2010

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Awards

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:18 AM

I've never seen a dino egg with a smooth surface. The one's I've seen all have a pebbly surface. Otherwise, that really looks like an egg!

#8 Mattison

Mattison

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:26 AM

It looks very similar to a Hadrosaur egg, did you find it yourself?

Yes, I found it yesterday 3/4/10 and live in NE AZ High Desert area approx. 20 miles west of NM
Thank you

#9 Phoenixflood

Phoenixflood

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:09 PM

Take a magnifying glass over the "shell" and see if you notice anything odd. A dino egg should have some pores in the shell, but I can't tell for your pictures.
The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

#10 JohnJ

JohnJ

Member of the Month 07/09; FOTM: 8/09; IPFOTM: 2/10

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,547 posts

Awards

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

Mattison,

Here is an excellent link for your local geology (you lucky person, wish they had something this for TX). Can you zoom in and tell which general formation your find came from?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.

#11 Redlichia

Redlichia

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:33 PM

it looks like some sort of concretion in which the surface was covered with a semi-translucent mineral. it appears as if the mineral below the surface mineral may have undergone expansion due to water absorption or something and cracked the surface of the less-porous exterior mineral. i'm not seeing anything resembling eggshell at all.

I agree for the concretion (nodule) of sandstone,there are several pieces of Mica minerals.The cracks are for the thermal excursion that in the desert is very high.However try to show some pics of the surface,thanks.
->>>>> :)<

#12 MOROPUS

MOROPUS

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:43 PM

I agree with the fact that all eggs have pores in it, just because the embryo needs oxygen.
This looks like a concretion of some type...

#13 Mattison

Mattison

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:22 AM

Take a magnifying glass over the "shell" and see if you notice anything odd. A dino egg should have some pores in the shell, but I can't tell for your pictures.

I had to look at a Chicken egg first but I guess a Gator egg would be a closer match (didn't have onr of those) and looked until my eyes crosses......I am just not sure what i am seeing.

#14 Mattison

Mattison

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:29 AM

I will try to get closer pictures, crop for a closer look and post them tomorrow (3/7/10)
Thank you

#15 RJB

RJB

Member of the Month 06/09

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Awards

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:04 AM

Hey Mattison,,, Im no 'eggspert' but after all the rocks posted on here where the owners of those rocks thought they maybe had a fossil egg but turned out to be a rock, this rock really does look like an egg!
RB

#16 Mattison

Mattison

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:20 AM

I will try to get closer pictures, crop for a closer look and post them tomorrow (3/7/10)
Thank you

OK, went on a quick hunt in the area that I found this egg/rock. I could not find another rock in this area with this leather look and cracked like this one BUT, I did 2 of similar size. One with a few cracks and pores but is just a rock as far as I can see. The other looks like it has/had some kind of cover 'skin' on it but still looks like a rock to me but what do I know? Here are a few picks. (Opps! this pic is taking up 1.25 MB so will have to post in seperate)

Attached Thumbnails

• R E pics 015.JPG

#17 Mattison

Mattison

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:24 AM

Here is a picture of all 3 together.

Attached Thumbnails

• R E pics 016.JPG

#18 Mattison

Mattison

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:37 AM

Here are 2 close up shots and then cropped, looks kind of like leather to me but not sure of pores.

Attached Thumbnails

• R E pics 005.JPG
  • R E pics 021.JPG

#19 JohnJ

JohnJ

Member of the Month 07/09; FOTM: 8/09; IPFOTM: 2/10

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,547 posts

Awards

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

Mattison,

Here is an excellent link for your local geology (you lucky person, wish they had something this for TX). Can you zoom in and tell which general formation your find came from?

Mattison, if you use the link above to determine the geologic formation, then it will be easier for others to give you more information about your rocks. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.

#20 Mattison

Mattison

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:04 PM

Best guess as the map doesn't show miles is TRc, Tsy or QTb. I could narrow that down if the map showed the miles but these 3 run along the County road that I live on.

You could go into that map and look for St Johns, as I mentioned, that is approx. 1/2 way up the State and approx. 25 miles west of the NM State line (south of I-40 along the 191). I live east of St Johns approx. 6 1/2 miles.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users