Dinosaur Egg? Or Just An Odd Rock?

Mattison

Not an expert, but on the other hand, an expert is only someone with a little more information-but not necessarily the whole picture.

That being said, IMHO you have something that might well be an egg-possibly even one with a preservation that is a little different, or even a species that is unfamiliar -or even new. Or it may just be an interesting geological mini event. In any case, you have a mystery and I hope you will keep us posted on what you find out about it. :D

Be true to the reality you create.

Not an expert, but on the other hand, an expert is only someone with a little more information-but not necessarily the whole picture.

That being said, IMHO you have something that might well be an egg-possibly even one with a preservation that is a little different, or even a species that is unfamiliar -or even new. Or it may just be an interesting geological mini event. In any case, you have a mystery and I hope you will keep us posted on what you find out about it. :D

:unsure: I posted this here because I was sure someone out there would have seen something tike this some where. We have TONS of rocks here of ALL sizes, shapes and colors and the eye CAN be fooled but I thought that once something became fossilized, it is really no longer what it was but is now a rock (like petrified wood). The shape is preserved but now it is something different. If this is an egg, the shelli is no longer a shell. On what woulds look like the back/bottom end of this, there is a large section missing and there is what looks like it COULD be the yolk of an egg that is a darker color, next to that is a lighter looking color and then this leather looking outer. I am not suer if I can get a good enough shot of this but I am going to try. Assoon as I can get a good one, I'll be back and post it.

Thank you!

:unsure: I posted this here because I was sure someone out there would have seen something tike this some where. We have TONS of rocks here of ALL sizes, shapes and colors and the eye CAN be fooled but I thought that once something became fossilized, it is really no longer what it was but is now a rock (like petrified wood). The shape is preserved but now it is something different. If this is an egg, the shelli is no longer a shell. On what woulds look like the back/bottom end of this, there is a large section missing and there is what looks like it COULD be the yolk of an egg that is a darker color, next to that is a lighter looking color and then this leather looking outer. I am not suer if I can get a good enough shot of this but I am going to try. Assoon as I can get a good one, I'll be back and post it.

Thank you!

OK, here it is, lets see if this helps figure this out one way or another.post-1836-12682442689447_thumb.jpg

From what I can see in the new pic, the "rind" is way too thick to be eggshell.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow, your blown up picture does show more than mine does. Wish I knew how to do that kind of stuff. There are so many cracks in this that it was hard to pick up as much as your picture is showing even with a magnifying glass.

Thanks everyone!

Mattison, its not difficult to do. You took a great in focus photo which was most of the work. You just need a photo editor like the free IRfanview software which Gatorman talks about in the thread below http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?showtopic=10851&st=0&p=124378&hl=irfanview&fromsearch=1entry124378

You simply zoom in on the photo and crop it and save the new file/photo. Pretty simple stuff.

Even if you dont use Irfanview, just using Windows explorer on most PC's will allow you to view your photo and to Zoom in and out. Regards, Chris

Mattison, its not difficult to do. You took a great in focus photo which was most of the work. You just need a photo editor like the free IRfanview software which Gatorman talks about in the thread below http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?showtopic=10851&st=0&p=124378&hl=irfanview&fromsearch=1entry124378

You simply zoom in on the photo and crop it and save the new file/photo. Pretty simple stuff.

Even if you dont use Irfanview, just using Windows explorer on most PC's will allow you to view your photo and to Zoom in and out. Regards, Chris

Well, sure it's simple......once you know what you are doing. Don't get me wrong, I really have come a long way on a computer, otherwise, i would not have even gotten these pictures on here or even found this web site to begin with LOL I will see what I can do when I get some free time. Thank you so for taking the time to post an answer.

P.S. I went to the fanview web site not too long ago but a warning came up and I chickened out on downloading it.....is it safe? THanks again!

Well, sure it's simple......once you know what you are doing. Don't get me wrong, I really have come a long way on a computer, otherwise, i would not have even gotten these pictures on here or even found this web site to begin with LOL I will see what I can do when I get some free time. Thank you so for taking the time to post an answer.

P.S. I went to the fanview web site not too long ago but a warning came up and I chickened out on downloading it.....is it safe? THanks again!

Mattison, the folks here in the forum have recommended it. The file download is coming from the CNET site which I believe most folks consider safe. When you get some extra time give it a try.

If you have problems on the specific steps of downloading/installing the program maybe one of the admins can provide the details in the future.

Hey you all Admins can someone create a series of screen shots showing the steps of downloading the IrfanView tool for the newer folks? Am I asking too much/too complicated??? I might try creating something for an XP/IE user if you think its worthwhile. What operating sys are most folks on? Later Windows versions probably--non IE browsers?

Mattison, what web browser are you using? I'm running Windows XP and using IE8 both with lots of patches!! :D at the moment...

Regards, Chris

right-clicking on a .jpg file in windows explorer and selecting "open with" should give a list of applications already on your machine with which you can view/edit the file. like as not one will have various functions that allow you to crop, brighten, adjust color, rescale/resize etc...

numerous applications, some free and some not, are available for download to manipulate image files.

teaching how to download and install software is i'm sure covered in numerous places on the internet. you have to watch what you download, though, and from where. official mirror sites listed on the primary website are one thing, but stray too far off the beaten path and you're asking for a trojan load.

right-clicking on a .jpg file in windows explorer and selecting "open with" should give a list of applications already on your machine with which you can view/edit the file. like as not one will have various functions that allow you to crop, brighten, adjust color, rescale/resize etc...

numerous applications, some free and some not, are available for download to manipulate image files.

teaching how to download and install software is i'm sure covered in numerous places on the internet. you have to watch what you download, though, and from where. official mirror sites listed on the primary website are one thing, but stray too far off the beaten path and you're asking for a trojan load.

Thanks Tracer for the reply/info! Regards, Chris

Most of the stuff on CNET isn't actually free. They are usually demos, "freeware," "shareware," etc. which are actually ad-ware and spy-ware in disguise. Whenever looking for good free programs, make sure they are "open-source." Those are truly free.

If you want a top-notch (well, the best) free image manipulation program, download the GIMP (which is open-source). If you must have the best (and have plenty of extra dough to spare), get whatever the newest version of PhotoShop (AKA "PS". newest is probably CS4 or so). Most libraries have comps with PS on them if you want to try it. Or, just go there and hang out on them while searching for fossil info. Free access to such a program is hard to pass up. I'd just save up some projects before going there, so you won't need to go back so often (if it's far).

From there just google tutorials for them and have at it. There are lots of great tutorials online for both. Both are very powerful, so stick with tutorials at first so you don't get scared away ;)

Mattison, the folks here in the forum have recommended it. The file download is coming from the CNET site which I believe most folks consider safe. When you get some extra time give it a try.

If you have problems on the specific steps of downloading/installing the program maybe one of the admins can provide the details in the future.

Hey you all Admins can someone create a series of screen shots showing the steps of downloading the IrfanView tool for the newer folks? Am I asking too much/too complicated??? I might try creating something for an XP/IE user if you think its worthwhile. What operating sys are most folks on? Later Windows versions probably--non IE browsers?

Mattison, what web browser are you using? I'm running Windows XP and using IE8 both with lots of patches!! :D at the moment...

Regards, Chris

Chris! You are noe my HERO!!!!! Downloading that program was, for me, the easy part as that editing site was also recomended by FanArtReview where I have a few photos posted. I was having a HECK of a time trying to figure out how to get the photo TO the application to use it.....That right click this sure did the trick :D THANK YOU!!!!!

Mattison

Chris! You are noe my HERO!!!!! Downloading that program was, for me, the easy part as that editing site was also recomended by FanArtReview where I have a few photos posted. I was having a HECK of a time trying to figure out how to get the photo TO the application to use it.....That right click this sure did the trick :D THANK YOU!!!!!

Mattison

You can also set file associations if you like. That basically sets the default program that opens the file (instead of Windows picture viewer or whatever, you can set it to something else).

OK, blew part of it up, lets see if I can get it to here....from where ever it ended up. I don't know if it is too cracked to tell about pores or not. I'll let you gus decide that....here goes!!!! OK, I guess I am not saving this right because when I upload here, the pic goes back to full shot rather than the zoomed and sharpened edit. I can tell you that there are all kinds of spots on it when blown up....are they pores? I don't know.

I am going to try this ONE more time :angry: Just can't get to show this zoomed :wacko:

post-1836-12685476379058_thumb.jpg

OK, found something VERY interesting.

I took a picture of a chicken egg....I know a chicken is different BUT... after zooming the chicken about 900%, I found a pattern of diagional and horizontal lines....I also found a similar pattern, not only in my first post but also on 2 other 'egg' shped rocks that I found...I just wish I could post all 3 photos. If anyone out there can tell me how to save the changes in the IrfanView program, I will post all 4 so you can see the pattern! It's 1:05 a.m. here so I should go to sleep but now I am getting a bit excited with these. I want to at least post the other 2 tonight so here they are. I also zoomed what I am sure is just a rock and it is also showing a pattern but it is different.

I put the smallest one that I found next to the chicken egg for size refferance on that one and cropped the midel sized one because that one is very worn but wanted to show the skin/shell looking area.

post-1836-12685548415764_thumb.jpgpost-1836-12685549054216_thumb.jpg

Archived