Verification of lizard fossil needed.

Brad1978

I found this big rock that appears to be hematite with a lizard fossil on it.  The pictures make it harder to tell but I see the head on the right and a foot bones just below it.  The bottom picture is a closer look at the head and the front leg.  If I need to zoom in better on any particular area let me know and I will post some more pictures.  Does anybody think this is a fossil?  Sure looks like it.

IMG_20211121_160322_114.jpg

IMG_20211121_160512_625.jpg

You have an eye for detail, but this is no lizard fossil.  Try to get better focused photos and we might be able to figure it out.

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I'll try to get better pictures.  Smart phone pictures never do justice for examining fossils or minerals.  After looking at some specimens online I see alot of similarities.  I think the left side of the rock is harder to tell anything but it's the front leg of it on the lower right and the head above it that have me wondering.  It kinda looks like one of those rock lizards or fence lizards to me.  I've had this rock for awhile but it was just here recently I cleaned it up using HCL and noticed what looks like small bones and I revealed the rest of it.

It may be hard to let go of an incorrect assumption, but this is not what you think it is.  Often, we try to make sense out of interesting features.

Do remember the county where you found it?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I see an inclusion that looks vaguely lizard shape. Its quite a cool rock and even though its not a fossil I would keep it. The lack of specific bone shapes and bone texture is what makes me think its not a fossil. Where in Texas are you located? If you let us know we could figure out how old the rocks in your area are and point in you in the direction of finding real fossils.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

not a fossil

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

That makes sense.  I realized there were no rib bones and it more than likely wasn't what I thought.  But that's what I posted it for was for y'all to figure it out the best you could.  So I wonder what the fragments are.  Could it be bone or is it just mineral deposits?

I live in Uvalde, Texas.  The rock is a keeper because I collect hematite and this is the biggest chunk I've ever found.  Most of the time it's quarter sized pieces or a little larger.

• Enjoyed 2

Especially not ! Any topic is informative and allows other members to learn.

Coco
  • Thank You 2
  • I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

5 minutes ago, Brad1978 said:

So being that I had my question answered do I delete this topic?

Topics like these are useful for other people trying to see if a find is a fossil. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain