C&D Canal Unknowns

historianmichael

I found this tiny fossil today at the C&D Canal (Late Cretaceous; Mount Laurel Formation). It kinda reminds me of a crinoid basal plate, but I have doubts that is what it is, though I have found crinoid stem pieces there before. I would love to know if anyone has a guess on what it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

211121171751824.thumb.jpg.3b4cba6f14bcf45ea83338936eb337e5.jpg

211121172021562.thumb.jpg.78ae42bc5c7fbdb85cbb15b362538011.jpg

Edited by historianmichael

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

15 minutes ago, historianmichael said:

It kinda reminds me of a crinoid basal plate,

It may be the remnant of a mold of one. I don't think it's a body fossil.

• historianmichael changed the title to C&D Canal Unknowns

I have an amazing friend. While she was doing research on something else, she stumbled upon an article with images of a crinoid that matches this exact one. The mystery fossil is a crinoid belonging to the genus Hertha.

1005084632_Hertha1.thumb.png.c1cbe8be6f66b29ced8ca41a95778e0d.png 316638611_Hertha2.thumb.png.e2867db9a78a332e50131b7fc1bb0052.png

• I found this Informative 1

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Nice find. I don’t think I’ve seen a Cretaceous comatulid from the east coast of the US. Much more common in Europe and Texas and other parts of the world.

• Thank You 1

45 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Nice find. I don’t think I’ve seen a Cretaceous comatulid from the east coast of the US. Much more common in Europe and Texas and other parts of the world.

Thank you. The only record I could find for a Cretaceous Hertha was for Europe. I reached out to the NJSM to see if they have anything to say. I am glad that I saw it and picked it up. It is only 2mm in size so I consider myself incredibly lucky to have even seen it in the first place. 

Edited by historianmichael