Sea creature fossils (part 2)

Brad1978

I believe this is a petrified sea urchin.  Or part of one.  Found it on the dry frio River here in Southwest Texas.  Anybody know if this species has been found yet?

IMG_20211121_171855_915~2.jpg

IMG_20211121_171906_348~2.jpg

I think this one might be a banded chert.

@Tidgy's Dad responded as I was replying lol.

Edited by thelivingdead531
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

chert indeed.  Not a fossil.  Google pictures of sea urchins,.  You will see that they have five very obvious petal-like structures.  Your rock has none of that.  Sorry.  

• I Agree 1

26 minutes ago, jpc said:

chert indeed.  Not a fossil.  Google pictures of sea urchins,.  You will see that they have five very obvious petal-like structures.  Your rock has none of that.  Sorry.  

That's funny because I had an echinoids expert look at it about 5 years ago and I met him on here.  We met up in New Braunfels and he said that this species has been found but if I were to find a new species he could name it after me.  Now I'm confused. 

2 hours ago, Brad1978 said:

Hope these pictures are better.  I did enhance the color to make it easier to see.

1627300456_IMG_20211121_163719_6002.jpg

IMG_20211121_163757_794~4.jpg

IMG_20211121_163757_794~5.jpg

IMG_20211121_163719_600~3.jpg

2 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

I see an inclusion that looks vaguely lizard shape. Its quite a cool rock and even though its not a fossil I would keep it. The lack of specific bone shapes and bone texture is what makes me think its not a fossil. Where in Texas are you located? If you let us know we could figure out how old the rocks in your area are and point in you in the direction of finding real fossils.

1 hour ago, Brad1978 said:

That's funny because I had an echinoids expert look at it about 5 years ago and I met him on here.  We met up in New Braunfels and he said that this species has been found but if I were to find a new species he could name it after me.  Now I'm confused. 

Who was the expert, please?

And what forum name were you using at the time? 

Why ask "if this species has been found yet?" if you already knew the answer? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 minutes ago, Brad1978 said:

Also he told me that the body is the only thing that petrified.  The spines don't.  It has the same design that sea urchins have but being that part of it is missing it's harder to see in the photo.

8 hours ago, Brad1978 said:

The spines don't.

Just for your information: They do, although usually separately since they tend to fall off quickly after the creatures have died.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

The "name after you" comment  leads me to believe that this person was being a bit facetious, and perhaps even sarcastic. This is how people can get when they take the time to give expert advice to the inexperienced, only to be questioned without a substantive basis. I'm not accusing the OP of this, as they seem to accept the expert consensus as quite probably accurate. This acceptance is not always the case. So if it was a bit of sarcasm exhibited by the member, or former member, it's sort of understandable. Still, I'm sorry you didn't get the "humor", if that's what it was. And, based on what I see, that's a strong possibility. You might just have caught them on a bad day. Good luck with your collecting.

FWIW, there was a gentlemen on another MB I frequent who was really a font of good expert information on watch-work. He had written many articles on watch repair, etc. over the years, and was an important member of the group. Then, a few years ago, he lost his patience with answering the same questions, about the same things, over and over again. He started getting a bit short of temper, and high of sarcasm, and was warned by the board powers that be. Apparently he threw up his hands and walked away from the MB, and took a lot of worthwhile knowledge with him. It is/was quite a loss to the knowledge-base of the board. I hope that our resident experts continue to provide their learned opinions for many years to come, despite being questioned by those ill-equipped to question.  Again, I am not accusing the OP of such things. Thanks, experts!

As far as the spines not fossilizing, there was a recent post here where someone found a particular species with spines intact. It was the first I'd seen. It seemed like a very lucky find. If you do a search on "urchin" and "spines", you'll probably find it. Cheers.

I should add that if another image is provided that shows characteristics associated with an echinoid fossil....well excuuuuuse me.

Edited by MrR
  • Thank You 1

• I found this Informative 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg