Suspected Mollusk (clam or oyster?)

Brad1978

I'm almost certain this is a clam of some kind.  It's solid rock and has all the features of a mollusk.  There's a hole in the side where you can actually see the clam itself.  There's a multitude of different species on the river bed here. I find oysters too.  Huge ones.  This all used to be lower gulf region millions of years ago according to maps 

IMG_20211121_195743_640.jpg

IMG_20211121_195752_329.jpg

Just now, Brad1978 said:

I'm almost certain this is a clam of some kind.  It's solid rock and has all the features of a mollusk.  There's a hole in the side where you can actually see the clam itself.  There's a multitude of different species on the river bed here. I find oysters too.  Huge ones.  This all used to be lower gulf region millions of years ago according to maps 

IMG_20211121_195752_329.jpg

IMG_20211121_195707_476~2.jpg

19 minutes ago, Brad1978 said:

IMG_20211121_195707_476~2.jpg

Can we get a clearer image of this side? Preferably in daylight, or at least very well lit?

Did you leave this rock in acid to clean it?

(Also, please check your private messages.)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Yes I did.  A bit longer than I intended.  Sandpaper just wasn't working.  There was a bit more color in it but I find them quite a bit because they all have the same exact shape give or take with the patina a hair thicker in spots. Calcium carbonate reacts violently to hcl and I probably should have diluted the acid

Thought so.  Those "grooves" are probably etched into the rock by the bubbles of the HCl reaction.  I've seen it happen many times. 

Most Cretaceous fossils found in your area do not 'play' well with acid...or sandpaper.  I'd recommend posting photos of things you think might be fossils before trying prep with these things.  ;)

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ