Large mosasaur or Deinosuchus rugosus tooth from North Carolina

fossil_lover_2277

I found this tooth earlier today in the Cretaceous Black Creek group of eastern North Carolina. It’s extremely worn, but it’s definitely a tooth (update: okay maybe not :DOH:), either mosasaur or Deinosuchus rugosus (due to its size). I’m leaning towards mosasaur due to the elliptical shape of its base. Does anyone know which it is? And if it’s mosasaur, what possible genus or species it might belong to? I’m curious to see what the tooth looked like before it got so beat up. Thanks!

25D57CEF-31B0-462C-91DD-89B170FD3E82.jpeg

A9B9E09B-A7E3-4800-B20C-B51B2AC300ED.jpeg

9B416E8A-B47A-400C-B315-9BC4D2F1D9F1.jpeg

17BD51E7-6FC0-43DF-A599-16570A696D0A.jpeg

3C46C456-0547-4A82-ABB7-F6705CE583FE.jpeg

4287FF90-FA94-4359-AC0E-5A1176A99C45.jpeg

4E62DBB6-AA8C-4638-AE36-7CAA35B7FC49.jpeg

7D843662-CA56-4D7B-B5DA-12A1FE0FB15A.jpeg

1CD7209D-55C4-4C27-827D-7B12BBBBEC84.jpeg

52AEB64D-C6A0-4FFD-97E5-8E66CF5FE2FF.jpeg

Edited by fossil_lover_2277
  • Enjoyed 1

I'm also not seeing a tooth: no enamel remains, if ever there was any, and the material characteristics are all wrong. For, even if the enamel had worn away, you'd expect the smooth dentine too show through, which wouldn't have the putting and twisting folds this specimen has. Instead, I agree the shape and defining characteristics of this piece are much more akin as spiral coprolite, as produced by certain fishes, including sharks. As such, let's see what @GeschWhat has to add to this...

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

7 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I'm also not seeing a tooth: no enamel remains, if ever there was any, and the material characteristics are all wrong. For, even if the enamel had worn away, you'd expect the smooth dentine too show through, which wouldn't have the putting and twisting folds this specimen has. Instead, I agree the shape and defining characteristics of this piece are much more akin as spiral coprolite, as produced by certain fishes, including sharks. As such, let's see what @GeschWhat has to add to this...

8 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I think you have half of a spiral coprolite.

Thanks...I had no idea. I saw the circular hole at the bottom, along with the somewhat conical shape, thought it was a tooth worn beyond recognition. But this makes a lot of sense, never heard of a spiral coprolite before!

42 minutes ago, fossil_lover_2277 said:

never heard of a spiral coprolite before!

Have a look at the below thread. It contains some nice illustrations of spiral coprolites, explains their formation and discusses coprolite morphology in general:

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett