Which brachiopods went extinct during mass extinction event's

DE&i

Hi there... Elliot here.

Could someone name some species of brachiopods please that became extinct during mass extinction event's.

As I'm struggling to find any references.

Thank you very much.

Elliot.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

It should be atrypid, no capital letter and with a 'y', not an 'i'.  The order Atrypida has a capital letter. Scientific clades have capital letters, informal names do not, so Animalia and animal. 

Anyway, lots of groups of brachiopods got snuffed in the major extinctions, but I'm not sure about individual species in the UK. It is difficult with species as they are often limited to a short timespan anyway, or have only been found in one formation so there is no telling that they were killed off by any particular event or not. 

Within the UK , for the Late Devonian extinctions and the Great Dying at the end of the Permian, there aren't a lot of rocks containing brachiopods to be studied, as most of the sediments of these ages are the 'Old Red Sandstone' and 'New Red Sandstone' respectively that are largely high energy and/ or terrestrial or lacustrine deposits, so no brachiopods. 

Even for the Ordovician extinction I might have a problem naming a British species that became extinct because of this event. Most of the Hirnantian brachiopod fauna of the UK actually survived into the Lower Silurian including Hirnantia itself.   

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I think if you google up a list of the major orders of brachiopods and then go through them one by one you can find out what was winnowed out over time. For example the vast majority of productids went extinct at the Permian-Triassic event and the few that remained were gone by the end of the Triassic from what I could read.

Doing this at species level might be much more involved.