Nov. 21, 2021 Peace River unknown phalanx

Sacha

I would appreciate an ID, if possible on this phalanx from the Peace River. It seems to be a little bulkier than the tapir phalanx that I have, but would not rule it out. It measures 1.4 inches (35 mm) in length and is .75 inches (24 mm) at its widest point. Thanks for the time.

DSCF2078.thumb.jpg.8d328487f4513832dd747bc7c0978d0e.jpg

DSCF2080.thumb.jpg.3a58284564533997c8abd3b230f109ee.jpg

DSCF2081.thumb.jpg.deaf36385bd014cd5d65b123935f2612.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

• 3 months later...

Not deer, not tapir . . . maybe pig or peccary.  The bone looks like it might have been through the digestive tract of some predator/scavenger.

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Agree with Harry.  The 3rd photo shows the distal end of the toebone.. It looks like a concave lens. That eliminates deer , tapir....Here is a photo of Peccary medial phalanx toe Mylohyus North Florida.  That does not seem to match either.....

911950445_s-l1600PeccarymedialphalanxtoeMylohyusNorthFlorida.thumb.jpg.339bf99331e9573df2e5bdb670c7b06f.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hmm.  No mammal phalanx I can think of has this simple, concave proximal end.  The reptiles, turtles in particular, have this sort of articulation.  

What seest thou else

Not trying to hijack your post, but this seems relevant as these bones have concave proximal ends also

• I found this Informative 1

I had to pursue this,  @Sacha

I can now say with some confidence that this mystery phalanx is a lateral proximal phalanx from a tapir.  The bone is much worn, possibly passed through a carnivore/scavenger digestive system. 

To reach this 90% confidence, I looked at and measured some similar phalanges.  The larger of the two tapir toe bones in the images below measures 1.26" long and 0.94" at its widest point.

684692717_phalangescameltapirA.JPG.3fd58cad2dcd32feba727f46fefbc631.JPG1266337391_phalangescameltapirB.JPG.3a2dd2e4644988ea8e7202dd3d1fe76e.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

What seest thou else

I appreciate it @Harry Pristis. I was on the river yesterday and just saw this. I've got to sort through what I brought home but I think I have another item you'll be able to help with.

• 2 weeks later...

The ball shaped proximal end and the tapering distal end is suggestive of a small canid  first phalanx  to me.