Opinions on this Spinosaurus tooth?

qubitz

Hi, I'm looking for a nice example of a Spinosaurus tooth for a gift to a Spinosaurus lover. I'm not quite sure the best place to look, but I did find this one coming up in an auction. I wondered if anyone would be willing to offer an opinion on this one?

Thank you!

lf.jpeg

lf-2.jpeg

lf-3.jpeg

Edited by Kane
Removed name of auction site and link.

Very hard to determine whats going on, if anything, with the photos provided.  The root appears covered with matrix or other suspicious material especially the 1" area where it joins the crown.

The description on this item specifically says "some work has been done" so thats a huge red flag.  Spinosaur teeth with these long roots are also another red flag.   Teeth with nice roots are not common and those offered for sale are often doctored.   I'll also say the crown on this tooth is also not very good.  Try looking at the other more common auction site but post your interest here before you buy.

• I found this Informative 1

22 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Very hard to determine whats going on, if anything, with the photos provided.  The root appears covered with matrix or other suspicious material especially the 1" area where it joins the crown.

The description on this item specifically says "some work has been done" so thats a huge red flag.  Spinosaur teeth with these long roots are also another red flag.   Teeth with nice roots are not common and those offered for sale are often doctored.   I'll also say the crown on this tooth is also not very good.  Try looking at the other more common auction site but post your interest here before you buy.

Thank you so much for your reply. I’ll keep shopping and see what I can come up with. My goal at this point is to find the best example I can, so I’m a little worried I’ll be looking in the wrong places. I’ll keep up the search though and post anything else I come across here. Thanks again!