Hell Creek Dinosaur Phalange id help Theropod?

jikohr

Hi everyone!

I've got another hell creek phalange I could use some help on. There's some damage on the front which exposes the inside showing it's hallow, so my first though was theropod, but I don't know for sure. dimensions are about 1.25 x .625 x .55 inches. Any feedback is greatly appreciated as always.

Also Happy Thanksgiving!

IMG_9178.JPG

IMG_9179.JPG

IMG_9180.JPG

IMG_9181.JPG

IMG_9182.JPG

IMG_9183.JPG

IMG_9184.JPG

IMG_9185.JPG

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Definitely theropod.  Difficult to say much more due to missing distal end.

Thanks!

How would one tell the difference between small theropod phalanges? What characteristics would point to or rule out raptor or small Tyrannosaur or Struthiomimus?

I use tons of photos I've taken over the years and publications to try to compare against.  Its not easy since many look similar but in the Hell Creek we have comparative capability with a some theropods and herbivores.  It helps that the fauna is not has diverse as older ones.  Yours is not Tyrannosaurid just the wrong shape.  Most small one wind up being indeterminate

• I found this Informative 2

10 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I use tons of photos I've taken over the years and publications to try to compare against.  Its not easy since many look similar but in the Hell Creek we have comparative capability with a some theropods and herbivores.  It helps that the fauna is not has diverse as older ones.  Yours is not Tyrannosaurid just the wrong shape.  Most small one wind up being indeterminate

Makes sense. The presence of "tooth taxons" like Paronychodon and Richardoestesia probably doesn't help.