Jump to content

North Carolina Xiphactinus tooth?


fossil_lover_2277

Recommended Posts

fossil_lover_2277

I found this tooth in Cretaceous Black Creek group sediments of North Carolina. I think it might be Xiphactinus since it has a hollow in it and is not solid like an Enchodus tooth. Does this look correct, or am I off the mark? Thank you!

F71DC5BB-24B8-494F-B00E-D27DE80B199D.jpeg

239F60A5-EF14-4BFB-B93B-1E09E20EE9B5.jpeg

6DAD452D-A29A-425F-950A-C6A98CA28134.jpeg

17EC5D58-31ED-4444-87C9-61FCFBF79565.jpeg

5E674ABD-B7EB-4DF3-A845-BDC77DA68D9D.jpeg

877B4A5C-8F8C-4CC6-8134-4273F3B75A7D.jpeg

5C2F2560-6DAD-4196-BD30-581871A6ABDD.jpeg

67E21B8F-9985-4360-A36C-52110967ABF3.jpeg

11CD3AA4-D1B2-4CA5-8E8F-58793DCA42EF.jpeg

6C1FEE68-B04D-4004-9827-D9C741FB6F4F.jpeg

  • Enjoyed 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
sixgill pete

I'm no expert in distinguishing between Xiphactinus and Enchodus. However, I do think this one is Xiphactinus. I have several pristine Xiphactinus teeth from a site in NC, along with some very nice Enchodus including a jawpiece with teeth from a few different sites. These were all PeeDee Formation teeth. The ones that come from the Black Creek Groups lag deposits which I have more than a few of generally are well worn like yours and can be hard to I.D.

  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
fossil_lover_2277
15 minutes ago, sixgill pete said:

I'm no expert in distinguishing between Xiphactinus and Enchodus. However, I do think this one is Xiphactinus. I have several pristine Xiphactinus teeth from a site in NC, along with some very nice Enchodus including a jawpiece with teeth from a few different sites. These were all PeeDee Formation teeth. The ones that come from the Black Creek Groups lag deposits which I have more than a few of generally are well worn like yours and can be hard to I.D.

Thank you for the local expertise. This is the first potential Xiphactinus tooth I’ve seen in-person and I don’t have any experience identifying them to draw on, so your input helps me a lot. Also, since you’re here in the States, Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Xiphactinus. We get this and Enchodus in NJ and they're fairly distinct. But Xiphactinus is MUCH rarer. Nice find!

  • I Agree 1
  • Learned something new 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very distinct fluting and base so I'm also 'all in' for Xiphactinus. Great find!

  • Learned something new 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
fossil_lover_2277
On 11/29/2021 at 6:49 PM, Family Fun said:

I learn something new here daily thanks to the many experts.  
 

Great find!

 

On 11/29/2021 at 5:56 PM, frankh8147 said:

Very distinct fluting and base so I'm also 'all in' for Xiphactinus. Great find!

 

On 11/29/2021 at 8:33 AM, Carl said:

I agree with Xiphactinus. We get this and Enchodus in NJ and they're fairly distinct. But Xiphactinus is MUCH rarer. Nice find!

Just saw these replies, but thank you for the information!! No experience with this organism so learned something new. Lol almost tossed it back actually thinking it was the broken crown of a goblin shark tooth but it looked off a bit so decided to pocket it

Edited by fossil_lover_2277
  • Enjoyed 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...