Paleocene Sand Tiger Shark Tooth

historianmichael

historianmichael

I was hoping to get some help identifying this Paleocene sand tiger shark tooth from the Aquia Formation. I tried to compare it to the examples on Elasmo but I know that there is a lot of variation in teeth and I am by no means an expert. I thought it looked like a Striatolamia but I did not see any striations- maybe they were worn off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much and happy Thanksgiving!

211125184340992.thumb.jpg.5746623aabeec78ad5c5e5c50232183c.jpg 211125184355491.thumb.jpg.858f138e55f317e0fd1b86fa3d8da005.jpg

Edited by historianmichael
  • historianmichael changed the title to Paleocene Sand Tiger Shark Tooth
bthemoose

Given the shape it's in, I'm not sure you'll get beyond sand tiger indeterminate. If it lacks striations that aren't just worn off, I think it's possible for it to be any of Odontaspis winkleri, Palaeohypotodus rutoti, or Hypotodus verticalis.

sixgill pete

I am leaning towards Hypotodus verticalis

historianmichael
1 hour ago, bthemoose said:

Given the shape it's in, I'm not sure you'll get beyond sand tiger indeterminate. If it lacks striations that aren't just worn off, I think it's possible for it to be any of Odontaspis winkleri, Palaeohypotodus rutoti, or Hypotodus verticalis.

I am sorry. I totally forgot. It is 3/8"