Hatched egg with baby/embryonic remains?

FF7_Yuffie

Before I go further with getting extra photos and details and measurements of it--- a quick question, but are eggs like this, supposedly with small embryonic bone pieces actually available quite widely? I am surprised to have been offered it--like I thought these were like gold dust. 

But are they a thing and do they come up for sale rather than being museum pieces/studied?

Is it worth me inquiring further about it and getting extra photos--or are eggs with embryonic/baby remains so rare that this isn't worth looking more into as it likely isn't actually baby/embrionic (The white clusters in the stone are apparently the baby bones--or are they jsut stones and gravel?).

If they are a thing--it can be assumed that the nest/egg was destroyed shortly after birth, rather than the egg being cracked open during predation or something? Or it is impossible to tell.

It is first I have seen one with supposed baby remains for sale which immediately made me think it's not worth looking more into. It's from Ganzhou by the way.

微信图片_20211126110810.jpg

Edited by FF7_Yuffie

Embryonic material is extremely rare especially in eggs.  The question I have is similar to yours are we looking at Embryonic bone or other deposits in the matrix.   You need to see the shape of a sketal bone to be sure and I'm not there yet, I would have expected to see more defined bones.  Sharper, closups images would help.  Worthwhile perusing but don't bank on it not very confident its one and lean more towards its not.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

I think we are looking at other deposits in the matrix, clearly lots of shell pieces. No embryo, imho, seller just advertizes the debris as embryo to get a better price... Although, this raises the questions, but if you don't see the shape of bones..

934097577_Screenshot2021-11-26at16_57_39.thumb.png.5d793824a227325e4a3b34a2514e88c1.png

Edited by aeon.rocks
  • I Agree 1

PS: To answer to some of your other questions google "Terry Manning". If I remember correct, out of 100 unhatched eggs, he managed to find less than 20 with embryo remains. We are talking about unhatched eggs. In a paper Manning then described how he used acid dissolution technique on hundreds of dinosaur eggs, for several months, untill some revealed embryos.  

Thans for taking a look. I had my doubts since I've never come across one before and eggs with embrionic/baby remains just seem like they'd be exceedingly rare. 

• 3 weeks later...

Like the others have said- could be bone or just other junk/sediment. Hard to say without seeing defining shapes. I have CT’ed some of my eggs and saw similar lines in them… who knows!

You could always reach out to Terry Manning. He lives in Arizona and is at the Tucson show every year. Very nice guy who is the world expert on embryos in dino eggs.  Google him and the egg embryo project. He submerged dino eggs into acid to reveal what was in them.