Electric Scrib

Planko

Hey everyone. With my quest for ammonites I need to see if there is a recommended good Electric scrib. Pneumatic I can find a few but compressors are going to keep the misses up. We all know that is not good. Just found 3 new species for my collection but they are invedded in concrete. Well you know what I mean. 

I have the Dremel engraver 290 with specialized tips for fossil preparation.

61REOBFlW2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

tips.JPG

It works pretty well.
Still, it is loud, and frequent breaks for your hands are necessary.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I use a generic version of the engraver @Fossildude19 mentioned. 

I’m not sure what tips Tim uses, but I found the below with a quick google search. I’ve been using the standard bit that comes with the engraver for bulk removal, but some of these specialized ones seem handy.:shrug:

https://www.zoicpaleotech.com/pages/electric-engravers-for-fossil-preparation

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I also use the engraver that @Fossildude19 mentioned although i havent been able to find the tips he uses i do use some longer and harder tips then what comes with the engraver. I use both the dremel and generic versions of it but im getting where i prefer the dremel name brand tool for the finer work. Unfortunatly my source for bits are out of stock and unknown when or if they will get more.

Edited by Randyw

Thanks for all the replies. I use a generic now but it stinks at taking the real hard matrix off. Very fine detail it's good. That's why I was thinking pneumatic but I tend to be in the garage about 2am working. She doesn't do well without enough sleep.. Unhappy wife, unhappy life as the saying goes. 

I feel your pain on the compressor noise. I often find myself up in the wee hours of the morning (as I am now) and would love to put the time to better use than trolling TFF :P but life would be short if I fired up the scribes and the compressor woke the wife.

I’m planning to add a room onto my prep lab in order to house the compressor and provide for additional specimen storage. A bit of soundproofing will keep from bothering the neighbors and moving the compressor out of the garage will keep the wife sleeping happily. It’s a win-win. The only detractor is the cost of lumber these days! :default_faint:

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I feel your pain on the compressor noise. I often find myself up in the wee hours of the morning (as I am now) and would love to put the time to better use than trolling TFF :P but life would be short if I fired up the scribes and the compressor woke the wife.

I’m planning to add a room onto my prep lab in order to house the compressor and provide for additional specimen storage. A bit of soundproofing will keep from bothering the neighbors and moving the compressor out of the garage will keep the wife sleeping happily. It’s a win-win. The only detractor is the cost of lumber these days! :default_faint:

Why not invest in the source?

https://www.airtoolsguy.com/quietest-air-compressor-reviews/

never worked with a “quiet” compressor  but it is the first thing I would improve 

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

the cost of lumber these days

Amen to that! :DOH:

I woodwork as a hobby and often give what I make away to friends or family and I feel like the price has near doubled for some less common wood over the past 2 years.

*Frank*

28 minutes ago, R0b said:

Why not invest in the source?

https://www.airtoolsguy.com/quietest-air-compressor-reviews/

never worked with a “quiet” compressor  but it is the first thing I would improve 

the problem with quiet compressors is the output and tank volume. The biggest one has a tank that is only 8 gallons. That’s barely enough, if not too small. It also can only put out 2.5 cfm. You want at least 4-6 cfm for running prep tools without overtaxing the compressor. My compressor has a 21 gallon tank and pushes 6.2 cfm and it can’t keep up with my Super Jack at full power. I have to run it at 1/2 capacity for the comp to keep up. I’m eyeballing a new comp that can push 11 cfm with a 40 gallon tank but that would require running a 240v circuit to the lab if I move the compressor.

4 minutes ago, FB003 said:

Amen to that! :DOH:

I woodwork as a hobby and often give what I make away to friends or family and I feel like the price has near doubled for some less common wood over the past 2 years.

Yep, I had to buy some 2x4s this summer and they were $8 each! They’re down a bit now but still double what they were a few years ago. Last summer I bought a bunch of walnut to make a countertop and just about broke the bank getting it home.

• I Agree 2

The other noisy elephant in the room -- even if one could acquire a "quiet" compressor with both volume and good CFM (not likely) -- is considering dust collection. Shop vacs and other dust collection systems are not known for being whisper quiet, so add quite a few decibels to the set-up. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

17 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

the problem with quiet compressors is the output and tank volume. The biggest one has a tank that is only 8 gallons. That’s barely enough, if not too small. It also can only put out 2.5 cfm. You want at least 4-6 cfm for running prep tools without overtaxing the compressor.

Not completely surprised by that my suggestion was a little bit to obvious.

Edited by R0b

15 minutes ago, R0b said:

Not completely surprised by that my suggestion was a little bit to obvious.

I wish there was an adequate compressor that didn’t shake your teeth loose when it kicks on.

• Enjoyed 1

1 minute ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I wish there was an adequate compressor that didn’t shake your teeth loose when it kicks on.

If you’re tying your head to the compressor motor, you’re doing prep wrong. :P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 hours ago, Kane said:

If you’re tying your head to the compressor motor, you’re doing prep wrong. :P 

I was wondering why I always get a headache when I prep. :default_rofl:

• Enjoyed 1