Mark Kmiecik

Four more for ID or confirmation. Again, thank you for your help.

A0003 - Myalinella? Other?

C0056 - Orthacanthus?

C0086 - I have no idea!

E0015 - Cyclopteris or Macroneuropteris basal pinnule? (venation forks)

80998343_A0003Myalinellaandburrowmaybe.thumb.JPG.d9658c2c7c21964153636027331bdfc6.JPG 494065817_C0056Orthacanthussp.maybe.thumb.JPG.dd82c3cf1f8c3726c5a8b7a607ed8dc4.JPG 1941971950_C0086Tellmeandwellbothknow.thumb.JPG.d5ef21f4c38f087d46100cf1392a5382.JPG 79026955_E0015Macroneuropterisbasalpinnulemaybe.thumb.JPG.14a76ebe0a4ec38b5d0778895fe49508.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 2 weeks later...

A0003 looks more like a coprolite to me. C0056 definitely could be a xenacanth tooth which would be exciting, I am not positive on though. C0086 could be something like Lepidocarpon.

• Thank You 1

I am leaning towards A003 being a color lite.

C0056 is definitely a xenacanth tooth

C0086 appears to be Cyperitea

E0015 agree that this is a basal pinnule

• Thank You 1

12 minutes ago, RCFossils said:

Don't you just love autocorrect? Sometimes it makes you smile! Thanks, @connorp and @RCFossils for your assistance.

Mark.

On 12/8/2021 at 3:33 PM, RCFossils said:

C0056 is definitely a xenacanth tooth

C0086 appears to be Cyperitea

E0015 agree that this is a basal pinnule

I'm not convinced that C0086 is Cyperites sp. judging by the rate of taper from proximal to distal end. Seems a bit too radical. Cyperites leaves are long and slender with a more gradual taper from what I've seen. I'm thinking this might be a spine from some critter.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik

Mark.

17 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I'm not convinced that C0086 is Cyperites sp. judging by the rate of taper from proximal to distal end. Seems a bit too radical. Cyperites leaves are long and slender with a more gradual taper from what I've seen. I'm thinking this might be a spine from some critter.

Cyperites can also display this more tapered shape, there is an example in the ESCONI flora book. 

I did consider the possibility it was a telson from a sea scorpion or horseshoe crab as well, but the proportions and preservation don’t seem quite right compared to my references. That being said, one can’t rule it out completely, it would need closer examination or an expert’s eye to evaluate it.

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, deutscheben said:

Cyperites can also display this more tapered shape, there is an example in the ESCONI flora book. 

I did consider the possibility it was a telson from a sea scorpion or horseshoe crab as well, but the proportions and preservation don’t seem quite right compared to my references. That being said, one can’t rule it out completely, it would need closer examination or an expert’s eye to evaluate it.

Thank you. I will label it Cyperites sp.? for now. I see how it can be, but I'm not 100% convinced. I'm trying to imagine what may have originally occupied that orbicular void at the proximal end...?????

Mark.